The last week in MLB was about a starting pitcher in the American League who was placed on the injured list, a manager for a team in the AL is fired, and an outfielder rejects a massive offer from his current team.
New York Yankees Place Starting Pitcher Luis Severino on Injured List with Lat Strain
The New York Yankees have placed starting pitcher Luis Severino on the injured list with a low-grade lat strain, per a team announcement.
Prior to tonight’s game, the Yankees made the following roster moves:
•Reinstated RHP Jonathan Loáisiga (#43) from the 15-day IL
•Placed RHP Luis Severino on the 15-day IL with a low grade right lat strain
•Selected RHP Ryan Weber (#85) to the 26-man roster from Triple-A SWB
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) July 14, 2022
Severino suffered the injury during his last outing against the Cincinnati Reds.
He pulled himself out of the game during the third inning with what the Yankees initially called shoulder tightness.
He underwent an MRI several days ago, which confirmed the lat injury.
There is no timeframe on when Severino can return to the starting rotation.
He previously suffered a lat strain in 2019, which limited him to three starts that season.
The loss of Severino is significant for the Yankees as he has been one of the better pitchers in their rotation.
The right-hander has compiled a 3.45 ERA in 86 innings pitched (16 starts) with 95 strikeouts, 25 walks issued, 14 home runs surrendered, a 109 ERA+, and 1.07 WHIP.
A lat strain injury for pitchers is tricky as some return within a couple of weeks, and for others, it takes longer.
The Yankees have a large cushion in the American League East and coupled that Severino had this injury three years ago, they are in a position to allow the injury to heal fully.
Toronto Blue Jays Fire Manager Charlie Montoyo
The Toronto Blue Jays fired manager Charlie Montoyo several days ago, per a team announcement.
Statement from the Toronto Blue Jays: pic.twitter.com/mSylN7TyDE
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) July 13, 2022
They have named bench coach John Schneider the interim manager through the end of the 2022 season, and Casey Candaele has been appointed the interim bench coach.
The Blue Jays entered the 2022 MLB season with high expectations and have underperformed.
The team is fourth in the American League East and is battling for one of the three Wild Card spots in the American League.
Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins said he “wanted to make it work with” Montoyo but admitted he was “extremely disappointed” with where the team was under Montoyo.
Atkins said the firing of Montoyo had been in the works for a while and placed some of the blame for the team’s performance on himself, per Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun.
Atkins made it clear that the Montoyo firing had been in the works for a while. Placed some of the blame for the team’s underachieving ways on himself.
— Rob Longley (@longleysunsport) July 13, 2022
Schneider has never managed in the major leagues but has a proven track record as a minor-league manager for the Blue Jays.
A wrinkle in all of this is I had heard John Schneider was going to be a name rival clubs were interested in talking to this winter about manager jobs.
He always seemed destined to manage this #BlueJays club, and I’ve had people tell me “he pretty much does that job already.”
— Scott Mitchell (@ScottyMitchTSN) July 13, 2022
Montoyo was in his fourth season with the Blue Jays, posting a 236-236 record since 2018.
He becomes the third manager fired this season, joining Joe Girardi and Joe Maddon, who were relieved of their duties by the Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Angels, respectively.
Outfielder Juan Soto Rejects $440 million Offer, Washington Nationals Will Entertain Trade Proposals
A young, supremely talented outfielder in Juan Soto of the Washington Nationals has become available, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
BREAKING: Juan Soto rejects $440M offer. Nationals will now entertain trading him. Story: https://t.co/u4ubuImb2S
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 16, 2022
Soto declined a massive offer from the Washington Nationals, and the team plans to listen to trade offers for him with the Aug. 2 MLB trade deadline weeks away.
According to sources, Soto, 23, rejected a 15-year, $440 million offer.
This marked the third time in recent months the Nationals attempted to sign Soto to a long-term deal.
The offer he turned down did not include any deferred money, which is not normal as the Nationals usually have deferred payments when they guarantee a large contract.
He would have been with the Nationals for the rest of his career if he agreed to the deal.
Soto is set to become a free agent entering his Age 26 season and could seek a deal north of $500 million.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said on June 1 at a local radio station in Washington, D.C., that the team would not trade Soto before the deadline.
However, Soto rejecting $440 million means the team will not be able to sign him to a long-term contract.
There could be a massive bidding war as teams will try to present a trade package to the Nationals for Soto.
The MLB team possibly acquiring Soto will be paying a premium as he is under club control for the rest of the 2022 season and then two more.
- Chris is a New Jersey native whose favorite sports team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. He previously attended Western New England College to study Sports Management. Chris has been following the Diamondbacks since he was 12. You can find him on Twitter at @aecanada12.
- MLBSeptember 25, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 25th Edition: Miami Marlins Starting Pitcher Sandy Alcantara Out for Season with UCL Injury
- MLBSeptember 18, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 18th Edition: Los Angeles Angels Place Shohei Ohtani on Injured List
- MLBSeptember 11, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 11th Edition: MLB Places Los Angeles Dodgers Pitcher Julio Urias on Administrative Leave
- MLBSeptember 4, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 4th Edition: Atlanta Braves Outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. Makes History