The Cincinnati Reds have drafted Hunter Greene, SS/RHP Notre Dame HS with the second pick in the first round.
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) June 12, 2017
Hunter Greene is part of a 2017 draft class which features a plethora of two-way talent. Greene is a talented player at both shortstop and as a pitcher, but it appears he’s destined to begin his pro career pitching.
He made news earlier this year when his fastball reached 102 mph in a start. However, this pitch generally stays in the mid-to-upper 90s, per William Boor of MLB.com.
Greene also has a slider and a changeup that he rarely uses. The 17-year-old is very athletic as he plays shortstop, and it’s something that helps his development in the future, as he learns to field his position and repeat a throwing motion.
Greene probably has the most upside of any player in the draft, because of his youth. Gerrit Cole is someone he compares favorably to based on his stuff.
The interesting part of this selection is that he was announced as a pitcher. He will get a chance to start his professional career on the mound. Greene
Greene is someone that will bring people to Great American Ballpark as he will be an exciting pitcher to watch on the mound.
He has the look of a star, considering he was already on the cover of Sports Illustrated. It’s been quite some time to be excited about an arm for the Reds.
Greene has the look of an ace and will give hitters plenty of problems with a fastball that can reach triple digits.
He should also have no problem fielding his position as he has experience in the infield at shortstop.
- Chris is a 29-year old New Jersey native whose favorite sports team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. He previously attended Western New England College to study Sports Management. Chris has been following the Diamondbacks since he was 12. You can find him on Twitter at @aecanada12.
- MLB2021.12.20MLB Weekly Digest December 20th Edition: New York Mets Hire Buck Showalter as Manager
- MLB2021.12.06MLB Weekly Digest December 6th Edition: MLB Implements Lockout After CBA Expires
- MLB2021.11.29MLB Weekly Digest November 29th Edition: Tampa Bay Rays Sign Shortstop Wander Franco to Mega Extension
- MLB2021.11.22MLB Weekly Digest November 22nd Edition: Los Angeles Angels Shohei Ohtani Wins AL MVP Unanimously