The San Diego Padres have taken LHP MacKenzie Gore from Whiteville HS with the third selection in the draft.
— San Diego Padres (@Padres) June 12, 2017
Gore has entered next level territory in his senior year (nine wins in 63 1/3 innings with a 132 K’s and a 0.22 ERA) after compiling a 12-2 record with a microscopic 0.08 ERA with 174 strikeouts in 83 1/3 innings in his junior season.
Gore’s fastball sits around the 89-92 mph range and reached 94 mph last summer. However, the 18-year-old added three more miles on his fastball this spring, per Oliver Macklin of MLB.com.
He has shown the ability to maintain his increased velocity late in games and locate that pitch on both sides of the plate.
The other pitches in his arsenal are a curveball, which is his premiere secondary pitch, including a slider and changeup.
Gore has a big leg kick in his delivery, which results in a deceptive throwing motion. He has an advanced feel for pitching, and it makes him an intriguing draft prospect.
A comparison for Gore is Cliff Lee.
The selection of Gore gives the Padres a terrific young arm for their farm system. The Padres don’t have the best crop of young talent in the minors, but taking Gore will change that in a heartbeat.
It shouldn’t take Gore long to progress in the Padres’ farm system as he has the skills to be successful. The one thing that sets him apart from other high school arms in the draft is his ability to repeat his delivery.
This is an aspect that’s hard to grasp as a pitcher’s mechanics play a critical role in their success on the mound.
If Gore can replicate performance he has shown in high school, the Padres will be very happy.
- Chris is a 25-year old New Jersey native whose favorite sports team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. He previously attended Western New England College to study Sports Management. Chris has been following the Diamondbacks since he was 12. You can find him on Twitter [email protected]
- MLB2020.01.20MLB Weekly Digest January 20th Edition: Mets Part Ways with Beltran
- MLB2020.01.15MLB Digest Special Edition: Cheating Scandal Has Drastic Ramifications
- MLB2020.01.13MLB Weekly Digest January 13th Edition: Cardinals Acquire Liberatore
- MLB2020.01.06MLB Weekly Digest: January 6th Edition: German Receives Suspension