• Texas Southern Tigers are back on the road Saturday at Alcorn State at 3 p.m. as they look for their fourth-straight win.
• TSU has won three straight since dropping its SWAC opener. TSU hasn’t played in Lorman, Miss. since March of 2020 as last year’s contest in Lorman was canceled due to COVID-19.
• Head coach Johnny Jones hit a career milestone late in 2021 with his 350th career win after the SWAC Tournament semifinal win on March 12. • Jones is 4-2 lifetime against Alcorn State and 2-0 against ASU’s Landon Bussie.
• This marks the fourth year for TSU head coach Johnny Jones. TSU returned to the NCAA tournament after the 2020-21 season and won its second NCAA Tournament contest in school history. Jones went 24-14 in his inaugural year as head coach with three Power 5 conference wins. TSU fell in the finals of the 2019 SWAC Tournament and advanced to the semifinals of the CIT in 2019. In 2019-20, the Tigers made it back to the semifinals of the SWAC Tournament after a third-place regular-season finish but saw the season end abruptly due to COVID-19.
• TSU faced off against teams from seven conferences in 2021-22. TSU squared off against teams from the Pac-12 (2), WCC (2), Mountain West, ACC, Conference USA, SEC, and WAC.
• TSU’s 25-game win streak over ASU came to an end in January of 2020 as ASU started a two-game streak in 2020. TSU broke the streak last season and has won two straight over ASU.• Alcorn State is 3-0 this season in SWAC play and one of the top three-point shooting teams in the SWAC (33%). Lenell Henry is ASU’s top performer with 8.2 points and 5.5 rebounds while Justin Thomas ranks second in the SWAC with 3.9 assists.
• TSU takes the term “home, sweet home” to heart as the Tigers are 111-25 inside the H&PE Arena since 2008. TSU has won nine-plus games at home every year since the 2010-11 season as COVID-19 prevented the streak from continuing in 2021.
• Jones is 84-74 all-time in the month of January and 15-7 at TSU.• TSU was picked to finish first by the Southwestern Athletic Conference while the duo ofJohn Walker III and Justin Hopkins both earned preseason honors. Experience won’t be an issue as four starters return along with eight letterwinners from 2020-21.
- Basketball2022.01.25Gresham’s Double-Double Powers TSU Over Alabama State
- Basketball2022.01.23Tigers Use Home Cooking To Run Past Alabama A&M 78-44
- Basketball2022.01.18TSU Tigers Fall Victim To Late Run In Loss At Jackson State
- Basketball2022.01.16Late Rally Falls Short As Tigers Drop Tough Contest At Alcorn State