HOUSTON – After HBU cut Lamar’s lead to one, the Cardinals responded with six runs in the seventh and three more in the eighth for a 13-3 victory in the Southland Conference baseball series opener Thursday afternoon at Husky Field.
Sophomore first baseman Brennen Bales went 4-for-4 with a double, a triple, an RBI, and a run for the Huskies (5-19, 3-10 SLC), while junior right fielder Christian Dumont walked three times and scored twice. Freshman shortstop Sebastian Trinidad extended his hitting streak to six games and drove in a run and junior second baseman Jake Miller doubled.
Junior lefthander Austin Spinney (0-3) took the loss for HBU, allowing four runs on 10 hits with two strikeouts and two walks in six innings.
Chase Kemp went 4-for-4 with a home run, a double, five RBIs, and three runs for the Cardinals (11-8, 3-6). Anthony Quirion and Reese Durand each had two hits and drove in two, while Avery George and Ben MacNaughton each went 2-for-4. Ryan Snell singled, walked, was hit by a pitch, and scored all three times.
Trevin Michael (2-1) earned the win for Lamar, giving up three runs on six hits with seven strikeouts and three walks in six innings.
The series continues with a doubleheader Friday at 11 a.m., followed by Saturday’s finale at 1 p.m.
- W: Michael, Trevin (2-1)
- L: Spinney, Austin (0-3)
- 2B: Weyler, Kelby 1; Kemp, Chase 1; Quirion, Anthony 1; Durand, Reese 1
- HR: Kemp, Chase 1
- RBI: Weyler, Kelby 1; Kemp, Chase 5; George, Avery 1; Quirion, Anthony 2; Durand, Reese 2; Girouard, Cole 1; Snell, Ryan 1
- SH: Weyler, Kelby 1
- SF: Weyler, Kelby 1; George, Avery 1; Quirion, Anthony 1
- RUNS: Weyler, Kelby 1; Kemp, Chase 3; George, Avery 1; Durand, Reese 1; MacNaughton, Ben 1; Altman, Daniel 1; Girouard, Cole 2; Snell, Ryan 3
- CS: Snell, Ryan 1
- HBP: Kemp, Chase 1; MacNaughton, Ben 1; Snell, Ryan 1