BC Eagles scored seven in the sixth, but ultimately dropped a 15-8 decision at VT
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Boston College baseball team overcame a seven-run deficit but ultimately fell at Virginia Tech, 15-8, on Sunday evening. The Eagles’ evened their overall record at 25-25 and fell to 9-17 in the ACC, while the Hokies improved to 25-23 and 8-18.
The sixth inning took one hour and 15 minutes to complete with BC entering the frame down 8-1, tied at 8-8 in the middle of the inning and trailing 10-8 by the end of the stanza. The Eagles pulled even with seven runs on five hits as 13 batters went to the plate in the top of the sixth.
Boston College cut the deficit to 8-4 with two outs in the inning and the bases loaded. Three BC batters produced a two-out RBI, including a two-run single by senior third baseman Jake Alu (Hamilton, N.J.) and a game-tying single by freshman second baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.).
The Eagles bullpen was hit hard over the next two innings as VT immediately regained the lead with two runs in the bottom of the sixth and broke the game open for the second time with four runs in the seventh.
The Hokies tallied 15 hits on the day with four players posting multi-hit games and five batters posting multi-RBI games. Third baseman Kevin Madden went 4-for-5 with three RBI. Right fielder Kerry Carpenter hit a two-run home run in a 2-for-3, four-run game.
Redshirt-sophomore righty Michael Marzonie (Greenwich, Conn.), who entered with BC trailing by seven, ended up on the losing end after relieving freshman RHP Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.). Pelio allowed a season-high eight runs on nine hits and three walks in 4.2 innings with five strikeouts. Marzonie (0-2) allowed two runs on two hits in a 0.1-inning appearance.
Lefty Chris Gerard got a no-decision with five innings of one-run ball while striking out four. RHP Zach Brzycky (4-0) got the win despite allowing two hits and a walk in 0.1 innings.
Score: Virginia Tech 15, Boston College 8
Records: Virginia Tech (25-23, 8-18), Boston College (25-25, 9-17)
Location: English Field at Union Park (Blacksburg, Va.)
- Galland recorded his 17th multi-hit game of the season and 34th of his career.
- Martellini collected his 15th multi-hit game of the season and 45th of his career while notching the first four-hit game of his career.
- Martellini hit his 10th and 11th doubles of the season to push his career total to 37.
- Morissette tallied his 18th multi-hit game of the season and hit his team-leading 17th double.
- Morissette became the third Eagle to record two hits in an inning this season and first to do so since Brian Dempsey and Jack Cunningham each did so at Eastern Kentucky (3/2/19).
- BC is 9-20 when the opponent scores first and 5-11 when the opponent scores in the first inning.
- BC pitchers combined for 11 strikeouts; the 11th game of 10 or more this season.
The series rubber match is set for 7 p.m. Monday on ESPNU.