BLACKSBURG, Va. – For the second week in a row, senior lefty Dan Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) led the Boston College baseball team to a series-opening win; defeating Virginia Tech, 2-1, at English Field on Saturday night. The Eagles improved to 25-24 overall and 9-16 in the ACC, while the Hokies fell to 24-23 and 7-18.
Metzdorf (6-2) worked with traffic on the bases all night beginning in the first inning in which he got a double play ball. He stranded 10 batters in a 7.2-inning start. Metzdorf scattered eight hits and three walks with eight strikeouts, including two that stranded two runners in scoring position in the fifth and sixth innings.
Senior third baseman Jake Alu (Hamilton, N.J.) powered the BC lineup from the leadoff position. He went 3-for-4- and doubled in the third for his second hit of the night. Alu came around to score the first run of the game on a two-strike single to center by freshman second baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.).
In the ninth, Boston College turned to junior RHP Matt Gill (Simsbury, Conn.) on the mound. The Hokies threatened with a leadoff single and a bloop double to right that put the tying runs in scoring position with one out. Tech cut the deficit to one on an infield single, but Gill was able to escape a bases-loaded jam for his fifth save of the season.
Score: Boston College 2, Virginia Tech 1
Records: Boston College (25-24, 9-16), Virginia Tech (24-23, 7-18)
Location: English Field at Union Park (Blacksburg, Va.)
- Alu doubled in the third and scored on a base hit to center by Morissette.
- Metzdorf struck out his fourth batter of the night in the fifth to strand two runners in scoring position.
- Metzdorf’s sixth strikeout left two more runners in scoring position in the sixth.
- Alu posted his team-leading 20th multi-hit game of the season and 45th of his career.
- Alu hit his 15th double of the season and 33rd of his career.
- Burns picked up his fifth multi-hit game of the season.
- Dempsey recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the season and 37th of his career.
- Lane tied the BC single-season record for pitching appearances with his 32nd of the year; tied with Nate Bayuk (2009).
- Metzdorf made his eighth start of six-plus innings and fourth of seven or more this season with a 7.2-inning outing.
- Metzdorf moved into the top-10 all-time at BC in innings pitched (9th – 223.2) and strikeouts (10th – 180).
- Metzdorf has not allowed a run in his last two starts, totaling 16 innings for an official scoreless-inning streak of 15.
Boston College and Virginia Tech take the field at 4 p.m. on Sunday for game two if the series, which will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra. Freshman right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) gets the ball for the Eagles.
- ACC2020.08.08Boston College Football: Preseason Blog #1 First practice Thursday
- ACC2020.08.07Boston College Announces Revised 2020 Football Schedule
- ACC2020.08.06Notre Dame transfer Jurkovec Granted Immediate Eligibility
- ACC2020.08.04Aces Double Down on Swords. Retired six months ago, but is now starting