The previous week in MLB was about a starting pitcher undergoing season-ending surgery, a superb reliever is injured once again, and a young starter hits the disabled list.
Red Sox Wright To Have Season-Ending Knee Surgery
Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Steven Wright will be knocked out for the rest of the 2017 season as he needs surgery on his knee, per Ian Browne of MLB.com.
Steven Wright out for the season, will undergo knee surgery, @RedSox have just announced.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) May 4, 2017
Wright had been dealing with some discomfort in his left knee since spring training, and it’s a major blow to the Red Sox that his season is over.
He made the All-Star team last season as he posted a 3.33 ERA in 156.2 innings (24 starts), yielding just 12 home runs and striking out 127 batters.
The right-hander has struggled this year. He has an 8.25 ERA in 24 innings, surrendering nine homers and fanning just 13 batters.
The loss of Wright hurts the pitching depth for the Red Sox. David Price is still on the disabled list, and Rick Porcello hasn’t looked sharp to begin the year, by accumulating a 3.95 ERA.
Orioles Place Britton on 10-Day DL with Arm Injury
Zach Britton has been placed on the 10-day disabled list by the Baltimore Orioles, per Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com.
Pretty much assumed last night, but Britton is going to the DL. Os expected to add another pitcher before the game.
— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) May 6, 2017
This marks the second DL stint for Britton in 2017 as he returned earlier this week after being sidelined with a left forearm strain earlier this year.
The Orioles are concerned with the health of their left-hander.
Britton has established himself as one of the premier closers in the Majors. He was perfect in 47 save opportunities last season and has converted five save chances in 2017.
He is one of the most important players on the team as the Orioles look to make the postseason once more.
Brad Brach and Darren O’Day are two options for the team to consider at the closer spot with Britton injured.
Taillon Lands on DL with Groin Injury
The Pittsburgh Pirates have put starting pitcher Jameson Taillon on the 10-day disabled list with a groin injury.
The Pirates have placed RHP Jameson Taillon on the 10-day DL with groin discomfort & selected the contract of RHP Josh Lindblom from AAA.
— Pirates (@Pirates) May 6, 2017
Taillon is off to good start in 2017, by compiling a 3.31 ERA in 35.1 innings (six starts) with 30 K’s, 13 walks issued and four home runs were given up.
The Pirates should be troubled about Taillon being injured. He underwent Tommy John surgery in 2014, then missed the 2015 campaign with a sports hernia injury.
Since Taillon has an injury history, it wouldn’t be shocking if the team slowly eases him back into the rotation.
He’s a big part of the rotation for this season and going forward.
- Chris is a New Jersey native whose favorite sports team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. He previously attended Western New England College to study Sports Management. Chris has been following the Diamondbacks since he was 12. You can find him on Twitter at @aecanada12.
- MLBSeptember 18, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 18th Edition: Los Angeles Angels Place Shohei Ohtani on Injured List
- MLBSeptember 11, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 11th Edition: MLB Places Los Angeles Dodgers Pitcher Julio Urias on Administrative Leave
- MLBSeptember 4, 2023MLB Weekly Digest September 4th Edition: Atlanta Braves Outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. Makes History
- MLBAugust 28, 2023MLB Weekly Digest August 28th Edition: Los Angeles Angels Superstar Shohei Ohtani Has Torn UCL in Pitching Elbow