BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team was swept by North Carolina State following a 7-0 loss at the Harrington Athletics Village on Sunday afternoon. The Wolfpack improved to 14-11 overall and 8-10 in the ACC, while the Eagles fell to 14-16 and 4-14.
NC State right-hander Matt Willadsen and BC graduate righty Alex Stiegler (Dallas, Texas) were locked up in a pitcher’s duel through seven innings. The Wolfpack had a 1-0 lead, having scored in the seventh, before breaking the game open with a bases-clearing double by Jose Torres two batters after Stiegler was lifted in favor of the bullpen.
Stiegler (1-2) spun a gem with a season-high 11 strikeouts in 7.2 innings of work. He allowed three runs on six hits with no walks. Willadsen (3-0) was masterful in a complete game, two-hitter. He struck out five and walked four; stranding the bases loaded in the ninth and not allowing a hit between the second and eighth innings.
NC State’s first run came on a safety squeeze in the seventh inning. The Wolfpack pulled away with a two-out, bases-clearing double in the eighth by catcher Luca Tresh. NC State put the game out of reach with a second two-out, three-run double in the ninth by shortstop Jose Torres. Left fielder Jonny Butler was 2-for-4 with two doubles and two runs scored for the Wolfpack.
Score: North Carolina State 7, Boston College 0
Records: North Carolina State 14-11, 8-10; Boston College 14-16, 4-14
Location: Harrington Athletics Village
- NC State leads the all-time series 30-16.
- BC starting pitchers have gone six innings or more in seven innings, including two Stiegler starts, but are just 2-5 over that stretch.
- BC pitchers combined to give up 21 runs after the sixth inning in the series.
- Frelick stole his third base of the weekend, ninth of the season, and 34th of his career.
- Stiegler struck out 11 in 7.2 innings; both season-highs.
Boston College remains at home to take on Northeastern Tuesday, April 13 at 4 p.m.