Eagles aim to salvage series Sunday at 1 p.m
BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team lost to No. 1 North Carolina State, 16-4, in front of 563 fans at the Harrington Athletics Village on Saturday afternoon. The Eagles’ losing streak hit four games as they fell to 14-17 overall and 5-9 in the ACC, while the Wolfpack improved to 29-3 and 12-2.
BC responded to NC State’s run in the top of the first with two of its own in the bottom half to take its first lead of the weekend. Junior first baseman Jack Cunningham (South Riding, Va.) tied the game with a two-out triple and senior catcher Gian Martellini (Johnston, R.I.) followed with a RBI-single.
Freshman right-hander Joe Mancini (Fairfield, Conn.) put together a three-up, three-down, shutdown inning in the second, but two walks to open the third ended his day. Senior lefty Zach Stromberg (Lafayette, Calif.) walked two of the first three batters he faced out of the bullpen and the game was tied. NC State added four more runs to pull ahead 6-2 and later added a two-run home run by first baseman Evan Edwards off of freshman RHP Travis Lane (Georgetown, Mass.)following a two-out walk that extended the inning.
The Wolfpack went on to score 13-unanswered runs, capped by a six-run sixth until a Cunningham leadoff-home run in the bottom of the sixth for BC.
Right-hander Reid Johnston (5-0) got the win for NC State. He allowed three runs on seven hits and a walk with just one strikeout. Mancini (2-5) took the loss in two-plus innings with three runs against on two hits and three walks.
Score: North Carolina State 16, Boston College 4
Records: North Carolina State (29-3, 12-2), Boston College (14-17, 5-9)
Location: Harrington Athletics Village (Brighton, Mass.)
- Brian Dempsey stole his eighth base of the season and 19th of his career.
- Dempsey recorded his 12th multi-hit game of the season and 31st of his career.
- Cunningham hit his first career triple.
- Cunningham hit his team-leading fifth home run of the season.
- Cunningham collected his 10th multi-hit game of the season and 21st of his career.
- Martellini drove in his 95th career RBI.
- Martellini tallied his seventh multi-hit game of the season and 37th of his career.
- Redshirt-freshman right-hander Nick Couhig made his collegiate debut on the mound in the sixth inning.
- BC walked 10 batters or more for the third time this season.
- Jake Alu hit his team-leading 10th double of the season and 28th of his career.
The series finale is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday. Freshman right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) gets the ball for Boston College.
- ACC2020.02.24Eagles Swept at No. 8 Arizona State as BC baseball falls in finale, 8-4
- ACC2020.02.23Boston College Baseball: Late Runs Decide Game Two in the Desert
- ACC2020.02.22BC Taken Deep in Series Opener drop Friday night tilt at Arizona State
- ACC2020.02.20Eagles Split Season Series; Fall 78-65 at UVA. Popovic nets 22