Eagles overcome early deficit; fall short in ninth
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Boston College baseball team was walked off by No. 19 Florida State, 4-3, in the ninth inning at Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium on Saturday night. Despite outhitting the Seminoles (18-8, 6-5 ACC), 11-4, the Eagles dropped to 13-13 overall and 4-7 in conference play.
A four-pitch walk to FSU right fielder Tim Becker led off the bottom of the ninth. He was sacrificed to second and a base hit by second baseman Mike Salvatore to right plated the game-winning run.
FSU, which was held to just two hits through six innings, got on the board with three runs in the first inning against BC freshman right-handed pitcher Joe Mancini (Fairfield, Conn.). The Seminoles took advantage of two walks and plated the three runs on just two hits, including a two-run, two-out single by J.C. Flowers.
Mancini settled in for his next two innings of work, finishing his night with three runs against on two hits, three walks, and a hit batsman in three total innings pitched.
Boston College overcame the early deficit with a run in the sixth to break the ice and ultimately tied the game in the seventh with a pair of runs. Junior shortstop Brian Dempsey (Potomac, Md.) led off the sixth with a single and scored from third on a wild pitch. He later delivered the tying run to the plate with a single to center, his third hit of the night.
The Eagles had a chance to take the lead in the top of the ninth but left the bases loaded for the second time in the game.
Righty CJ Van Eyk pitched six innings of one-run ball; allowing one unearned run on seven hits with no walks and five strikeouts; Lefty Jonah Scolaro (1-0) went the rest of the way for the win after blowing a two-run lead. He surrendered two runs, one earned, on four this and two walks with three strikeouts.
Redshirt-sophomore lefty Joey Walsh (Plymouth, Mass.) took the loss for BC in his third inning of work. He allowed one run on one hit and two walks with two strikeouts.
Score: Florida State 4, Boston College 3
Records: Florida State (18-8, 6-5), Boston College (13-12, 4-6)
Location: Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium (Tallahassee, Fla.)
- Trailing 3-0 with the bases loaded and one out, Sean Hughes came on for a strikeout and Will Hesslink got a groundball to first to strand three in the fifth.
- Dempsey, who led off the sixth with a single, scored the Eagles’ first run of the night on a wild pitch.
- With two batters on and the runners in motion, Frelick grounded to second, but the hesitation on the throw, which was wide of first, allowed Frelick to score and Galland to score.
- Dempsey’s third single of the night went out to center and tied the game; bringing home Alu.
- The Eagles got around a leadoff-double and left runners on the corners as Joey Walsh came on for a strikeout and a groundout.
- BC is 0-for-8 with the bases loaded this series.
- Frelick wore No. 35 instead of No. 11 in honor of FSU head coach Mike Martin, who is in his 40th and final season. He will wear 35 all weekend.
- Dempsey recorded his 10th multi-hit game of the season and 29th of his career.
- Suozzi posted his third multi-hit game of the season and seventh of his career.
- Alu tallied his seventh double of the season and 25th of his career.
The series finale has been moved up to a noon first pitch on Sunday. Freshman right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) gets the ball for BC.
- ACC2020.11.29Boston College Outruns Louisville, 34-27 as Eagles rush for 188 yards
- ACC2020.11.27Gritty Second Half Effort for Eagles Leads to 69-64 Win over Rhody
- ACC2020.11.26Boston College Eagles Fall Late to No. 3 Villanova at 2K Empire Classic
- ACC2020.11.222020-21 MBB Preview: Big Steff’s Big Encore