BC baseball knocks off No. 19 Florida State, 10-7
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Boston College baseball team defeated No. 19 Florida State, 10-7, in front of a crowd of 4,165 at Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium on Friday night. The win improved the Eagles to 13-12 overall and 4-6 in the ACC, while the Seminoles fell to 17-8 and 5-5.
BC jumped all over FSU lefty Drew Parrish as senior catcher Gian Martellini(Johnston, R.I.) got the scoring started with a three-run home run over the left field bullpen in the top of the first. The Eagles scored in each of the first four innings and chased Parrish (3-2) after allowing five runs on five hits and two walks with one strikeout in 1.1 innings of work.
Boston College senior right-handed pitcher Dan Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.)went six innings or better for the third time this season and allowed three runs, all in the fourth, on six hits and three walks, while matching his season-high in strikeouts at six. Working with a lead immediately, Metzdorf (3-2) loaded the bases in the first with nobody out but bounced back with a strikeout and a double play for a shutdown inning.
Metzdorf’s 109th and final pitch of the night was a strikeout to strand a runner in the sixth with the Eagles leading 8-3.
FSU battled back in the late innings with a four-run eighth to cut the Eagles’ lead to 8-7. The Seminoles loaded the bases on three passes with nobody out. Robbie Martin delivered a two-run single and Mike Salvatore plated two more with a double to left-center.
BC put two insurance runs on the board in the top of the ninth as freshman center fielder Sal Frelick (Lexington, Mass.) hit a leadoff single, was sacrificed to second and scored on a RBI-base hit from junior first baseman Jack Cunningham (South Riding, Va.). The Eagles added a second run on a passed ball.
Junior RHP Matt Gill (Simsbury, Conn.), who has started seven games this season, made his first appearance out of the bullpen for the ninth. The Seminoles got the tying run to the plate, induced a fly ball to center for his first career save.
Score: Boston College 10, Florida State 7
Records: Boston College (13-12, 4-6), Florida State (17-8, 5-5)
Location: Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium (Tallahassee, Fla.)
- Martellini hit a three-run blast to open the scoring in the top of the first inning.
- Metzdorf used a strikeout and a double play after loading the bases to begin his start.
- Suozzi opened a two-run second inning with a double and was followed by two RBI-knocks.
- Metzdorf struck out two in a three-up, three-down second.
- Suozzi walked in the third, moved up on a wild pitch and scored on a Dempsey base hit.
- Frelick wore No. 35 instead of No. 11 in honor of FSU head coach Mike Martin, who is in his 40th and final season. He will wear 35 all weekend.
- Brian Dempsey, the last BC player to start every game at the same position in the batting order, hit leadoff for the first time this season.
- Boston College is 2-4 against ranked teams this season. The Eagles last won three or more over ranked opponents when they went 10-9 in 2016.
- Martellini bashed his second home run of the season, each in the last two ACC contests, and 13th of his career.
- Dempsey recorded his ninth multi-hit game and third three-hit game of the season for his 28th career multi-hit game.
- Jake Alu recorded his ninth multi-hit game and third three-hit game of the season for his 34th career multi-hit game.
- Metzdorf made his third start of six innings or more this season and matched his season-high with six strikeouts for the third time.
- Chris Galland stole his 11th base of the season and 39th of his career, which ranks eighth all-time at BC.
- Thomas Lane made his team-leading 15th relief appearance of the season.
- Frelick posted his team-leading 12th multi-hit game of the season.
- BC scored double-digit runs for the sixth time this season and first since an 11-4 win over Holy Cross (3/12).
- Eagle pitcher combined for 10 strikeouts; the sixth game of the season reaching double figures.
Game two between Boston College and Florida State is set for 6 p.m. on Saturday.
- Radio Shows2021.01.17Eagles Fall 80-70 at Notre Dame. Steffon Mitchell logs a double-double
- ACC2021.01.142021 ACC Schedule Set for BC Baseball. Non-Conference Slate TBD
- ACC2021.01.13Boston College MBB: Eagles Drain 18 3-Pointers in 84-62 Win over Miami
- ACC2021.01.12Boston College Eagles Look to Bounce Back Tuesday vs. Miami