Nik Popovic led BC with 21 points and nine rebounds
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – No. 14 seed Pitt used a 42-18 scoring advantage in the paint as the Panthers defeated No. 11 seed Boston College 80-70 in the first round of the 2019 New York Life ACC Tournament. The loss ended the Eagles’ season at 14-17 overall.
Pitt advances to the second round of the ACC Tournament and will face No. 6 seed Syracuse Wednesday at 9:30 p.m.
BC came out of the locker room flying in the first half as the Eagles opened the contest on a 7-0 run. Pitt’s first bucket came at the 16:04 mark in the first half as the Panthers then controlled play the rest of the half. Pitt held BC to just 25 percent shooting from the field in the first half to lead 36-21 at the break.
In the second half, Pitt would extend its lead to as many as 27. The Panthers held BC to 35.6 percent shooting for the game, including just 6-of-25 from behind the arc.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Nik Popovic scored 15 of his 21 in the second half. He added nine rebounds and two blocks in 33 minutes
- Jordan Chatman ended his collegiate career with a 16-point performance. The senior guard made 10-of-11 from the charity stripe while grabbing six rebounds and dishing out two assists.
- Ky Bowman finished with 14 points, seven rebounds, four assists, a steal, and a blocked shot.
- Jared Hamilton added eight points (4-8 FG) and two assists.
- Steffon Mitchell grabbed six boards.
- Chris Herren Jr. (five points) and Jairus Hamilton (four points) accounted for the BC bench points.
STAT OF THE GAME:
+24: Pitt outscored BC 42-18 in the paint to take control of the game.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
Nik Popovic led BC with a 23 efficiency rating. Jordan Chatman registered a 16, while Ky Bowman and Steffon Mitchell each had 10. Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)