NCAA East Regional Semifinal Game #2
#2 Purdue vs. #3 Texas Tech
- Texas Tech improves to 1-2 all-time against Purdue with its 78-65 win Friday night at TD Garden. The meeting was the first since Dec. 1, 1988.
- Texas Tech is one of three Big 12 teams that advanced to the Elite Eight (Kansas, Kansas State) in the 2018 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship.
Texas Tech Notes
- Texas Tech advances to its first-ever Elite Eight (had been 0-5 with a chance to reach Elite Eight, including one vacated game).
- The Red Raiders improve to 11-16 all-time in NCAA Tournament games.
- Chris Beard is 2-0 versus Purdue with his first win coming in the First Round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament while the head coach of Arkansas-Little Rock (85-83 2OT).
- It is the 10th time this season Texas Tech has held its opponent to 25 points or less in the opening half. The Red Raiders are a perfect 10-0 in those contests.
- Texas Tech improved to 19-3 this season when leading at the half.
- The Red Raiders lead the nation with eight AP Top 25 wins.
- Zhaire Smith has 410 points on the season, trailing only Martin Zeno (413, 2004-05) for the most points by a freshman in a season at Texas Tech.
- Keenan Evans led the team in scoring (16 points) for the 23rd time this season, leading the team (next best is six games – Jarrett Culver, Zhaire Smith).
- The 94.7 percent proficiency from the foul line tonight (17-18) is a season-high.
- Purdue falls to 4-7 all-time in the regional semifinal round and 39-30 (.565) overall in the NCAA Tournament. The Boilermakers’ last win in the Sweet 16 came in 2000.
- The Boilermakers’ 30 wins in 2017-18 were a program record.
- The 13-point margin of defeat was the largest this season for the Boilermakers.
- With 12 points on the night, Vincent Edwards (511) joined Carsen Edwards (686) and Isaac Haas (514) to become the first trio in Purdue history to each score 500 points in a single season.
- Carsen Edwards’ 30 points gave him 686 for the year, the most ever by a Purdue sophomore. Rick Mount scored 683 points in 1967-68.
- Vincent Edwards’ double-double (12 points, 13 rebounds) was his eighth of the season and 12th of his Boilermaker career. Purdue was 6-2 this season when Edwards recorded a double-double.
- Dakota Mathias finishes his career as Purdue’s all-time leader in games played (141).
- Purdue scored 25 first-half points – marking just the fourth half all season in which the Boilermakers failed to score 30 points.
- Purdue went 1-3 in 2017-18 when failing to collect 10 or more assists.