The prior week in MLB focused on a starting pitcher who will begin the regular season on the DL, a club in American League locking up an outfielder and c team in National League naming their Opening Day starter.
Red Sox Price To Begin Season On DL
Boston Red Sox starter David Price is likely to start the 2017 season on disabled list, per Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald.
Price has yet to appear in a game this spring for the Red Sox due to an elbow injury.
The Red Sox do have a solid duo at the top of the rotation with Rick Porcello and Chris Sale to absorb the loss of Price in the short term.
The club needs a healthy version of Price to have any chance of winning the AL East and advancing deep in the postseason.
Rays Reportedly Sign Kiermaier to Six-Year Extension
The Tampa Bay Rays and outfielder Kevin Kiermaier have reportedly agreed to a six-year extension that will be worth more $50 million, per Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Kiermaier has been one of the best defenders in Majors over the past two seasons. He has captured a Gold Glove in each of the previous two years with the Rays.
He was so impressive with his glove last year that he led the AL in defensive runs above replacement (3.0), although he played in just 105 games due to two fractured bones in his left hand.
Kiermaier had a decent season at the plate, by compiling a .246 batting average and .741 OPS with 20 doubles, 12 home runs, 37 RBI and 21 stolen bases.
Kiermaier is a premier player in the AL due to his defensive skills, and the Rays were smart to lock him up.
Braves Name Teheran Opening Day Starter
The Atlanta Braves have selected Julio Teheran to be their Opening Day starter for the fourth straight year.
Teheran was solid in the Braves’ rotation last season. He accumulated a 3.21 ERA in 188 innings with 167 strikeouts, 41 walks issued, a 3.69 FIP, a 129 ERA+ and his WHIP was 1.05.
It was the fourth consecutive season that Teheran tossed at least 180 innings and made 30 starts.
Teheran will also make some franchise history by starting on Opening Day for the fourth consecutive year.
— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) 19 March 2017
- Chris is a 25-year old New Jersey native whose favorite sports team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. He previously attended Western New England College to study Sports Management. Chris has been following the Diamondbacks since he was 12. You can find him on Twitter [email protected]
- MLB2020.07.06MLB Weekly Digest July 6th Edition: Angels OF Mike Trout Unsure About Playing in 2020
- MLB2020.06.29MLB Weekly Digest June 29th Edition: MLB Establishes Return for 2020 Campaign
- MLB2020.06.22MLB Weekly Digest June 22nd Edition: Manfred, Clark Discuss Framework for 2020 Season
- MLB2020.06.15MLB Weekly Digest June 15th Edition: Detroit Tigers Select ASU Star Spencer Torkelson First Overall in MLB Draft