NOTRE DAME, Ind. – An eight-run bottom of the first was too much to overcome for the Boston College baseball team in an 11-5 loss to No. 18 Notre Dame at Frank Eck Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The series will conclude Sunday at 1 p.m. as the Eagles seek to win their first ACC series of the season.
Despite allowing eight runs on eight hits the first time through the order, graduate right-hander Henry Leake (Burbank, Calif.) hung around for five innings. The Irish had four runs in with just one out before two bunt-singles loaded the bases and shortstop Zack Prajzner broke the game open with a grand slam.
Leake (2-2) took the loss with 10 runs against 11 hits and one walk with four strikeouts. Right-handed starter Austin Temple allowed four runs on three hits and three walks with four strikeouts in a four-inning start for Notre Dame (27-10, 12-8 ACC), but was short of earning the win. Righty reliever Alex Rao (2-1) was the first pitcher out of the pen and went three innings with one run on two hits and three strikeouts to get the win.
Sophomore first baseman Joe Vetrano (Shrub Oak, N.Y.) and graduate left fielder Rafe Chaumette (Sugarland, Texas) each homered for Boston College (17-27, 4-19). ND third baseman Jack Brannigan went 4-for-4 with a two-run homer and three RBI.
Scores: No. 18 Notre Dame 11, Boston College 5
Records: Notre Dame 26-10, 11-8; Boston College 17-26, 4-18 ACC;
Stadium: Frank Eck Stadium
· Vetrano got the Eagles on the board in the fourth with a two-run home run.
· Two two-out walks extended the fourth and after a wild pitcher, Roche delivered both runners to the plate with a base hit up the middle.
· Chaumette hit his second home run of the season.
· Roche recorded his fifth multi-hit and first multi-RBI game of the season.
· Vetrano hit his 12th home run of the season.
The series rubber match is Sunday at 1 p.m. on ACCNX.
- ACCDecember 4, 2023Bowling in Boston; BC Accepts Wasabi Fenway Bowl Invitation
- ACCNovember 29, 2023Seven Eagles Earn All-ACC Honors
- ACCNovember 25, 2023Boston College Heads to Bowl Game on Three-Game Slide
- ACCNovember 17, 2023Boston College Comes Up Short at Pittsburgh