CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – The Boston College baseball team picked up a season-opening win over Austin Peay, 8-3, at Raymond C. Hand Park on Friday afternoon. Senior right-hander Joe Mancini (Fairfield, Conn.) pitched five innings in the start and allowed just two runs, one earned, to earn the win.
The Eagles trailed 1-0 after one, but soon rallied for three runs in the top of the second and led the rest of the way. Junior designated hitter Parker Landwehr (Baltimore, Md.) tied the game with a double to right and senior catcher Peter Burns (Reading, Mass.) pushed across the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly to left.
BC put up crooked numbers again in the third and sixth innings. Junior shortstop Vince Cimini (Scranton, Pa.) doubled and Landwehr added an RBI single, both with two outs, to plate runs. Burns started a three-run sixth with a one-out single and scored on an error. The Eagles tacked on two more with a two-out single by sophomore first baseman Joe Vetrano (Shrub Oak, N.Y.). Vetrano finished the day 3-for-4 with a walk.
Mancini (1-0) struck out three and walked just one in his 20th career start.
Score: Boston College 8, Austin Peay 3
Records: Boston College 1-0; Austin Peay 0-1
Stadium: Raymond C. Hand Park
· Landwehr doubled down the right-field line in the second to tie the game 1-1. Peter Burns added a sacrifice-fly and Walsh a two-out single to complete a three-run frame.
· Cimini doubled and Landwehr singled with two outs to each drive in a run in the third and make it 5-1.
· Vetrano ripped a two-run, two-out single in a three-run sixth.
· The BC infield turned inning-ending double plays behind reliever Charlie Coon in the sixth and seventh innings.
· Landwehr notched the second multi-hit and multi-RBI game of his career.
· The Eagles have won five consecutive games on opening day.
· Vetrano registered the first three-hit and first multi-RBI game of his career.
Game two of the series is slated for 2 p.m. ET on Saturday with freshman RHP Sean Hard (Mahwah, N.J.) set to make his collegiate debut on the mound.
- ACCSeptember 24, 2023Boston College Drops ACC Road Opener at Louisville
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10
- ACCAugust 13, 2023Eagles Close Out European Tour with 106-70 Win in Barcelona