The last week in MLB was about a team in the American League placing their shortstop on the injured list, a team promotes one of their executives, and a team in the AL puts a reliever on the injured list.
Chicago White Sox Place Shortstop Tim Anderson on Injured List with Hamstring Strain
According to a team announcement, the Chicago White Sox has placed shortstop Tim Anderson on the injured list (retroactive to August 29) with a left hamstring strain.
— Chicago White Sox (@whitesox) September 1, 2021
Anderson is having a phenomenal 2021 season for the White Sox as he has posted a .302 batting average and .788 OPS in 108 games with 82 runs scored, 26 doubles, two triples, 14 home runs, 53 RBIs, and 17 stolen bases.
The infielder having success at the plate is not a surprise as he compiled a .322 average and .886 OPS in 49 games last year with the White Sox.
The loss of a player like Anderson would typically be a significant blow to a team like the White Sox in the last month of the season.
However, the club has a commanding ten-and-a-half game lead over the Cleveland Indians in the American League Central.
The most important thing is ensuring that Anderson is healthy when the postseason begins, as they will need him completely healed to make a deep run in the playoffs.
Seattle Mariners Promote Jerry Dipoto; Extend Manager Scott Servais to Multi-Year Deal
The Seattle Mariners promoted Jerry Dipoto to the president of baseball operations and agreed to a multi-year contract extension with Dipoto.
The Mariners have also signed manager Scott Servais to a multi-year extension, per a team announcement.
The team made two intelligent moves by extending both Dipoto and Servais as they have played a role in the Mariners vying for a playoff spot in the last month of the season.
The team is four games back in the American League Wild Card and trails the Houston Astros by five-and-a-half games in the American League West.
Dipoto is one of the most active general managers in MLB as he is not afraid to make moves.
Servais has done a remarkable job managing a young roster with talent.
The franchise is moving in the right direction, with Dipoto as the president of baseball operations and Servais as the manager.
New York Yankees Place Reliever Jonathan Loaisiga on Injured List with Shoulder Strain
The New York Yankees will be without a vital part of their bullpen as they placed reliever Jonathan Loaisiga on the injured list yesterday with a right shoulder strain, per a team announcement.
Prior to today’s game, the Yankees made the following roster moves:
• Placed RHP Jonathan Loáisiga on the 10-day injured list with a right shoulder strain.
• Recalled RHP Albert Abreu (#84) from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) September 5, 2021
The loss of Loaisiga is paramount for the Yankees as they are trying to maintain the top Wild Card spot in the American League.
The right-hander will not throw for at least 10 days, and Yankees manager Aaron Boone talked about the injury to Loaisiga, per Bryan Hoch of MLB.com.
Loaisiga will not throw for at least 10 days. Boone said “it’s a big loss for us.”
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) September 5, 2021
Loaisiga has posted a 2.25 ERA in 68 innings pitched (54 games) with 66 strikeouts, 15 walks issued, three home runs yielded, a 1.02 WHIP, 2.59 FIP, and 187 ERA+.
The Yankees are hopeful Loaisiga can come back before the regular season is over as the team would probably prefer he pitch in some games before the playoffs start.
- Chris is a 29-year old New Jersey native whose favorite sports team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. He previously attended Western New England College to study Sports Management. Chris has been following the Diamondbacks since he was 12. You can find him on Twitter at @aecanada12.
- MLB2021.10.11MLB Weekly Digest October 11th Edition: Colorado Rockies Sign Starting Pitcher Antonio Senzatela to Five-Year Extension
- MLB2021.10.04MLB Weekly Digest October 4th Edition: St. Louis Cardinals Re-Sign Adam Wainwright for 2022 Season
- MLB2021.09.27MLB Weekly Digest September 27th Edition: Tampa Bay Rays Clinch American League East Title
- MLB2021.09.20MLB Weekly Digest September 20th Edition: San Diego Padres Place Starting Pitcher Blake Snell on Injured List