BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team shut out No. 6 Notre Dame, 10-0, at the Harrington Athletics Village on Friday night. The Eagles hit three home runs and junior right-hander Emmet Sheehan (Darien, Conn.) tossed 6.1-shutout innings as they moved their record to 16-19 overall and 6-16 in the ACC.
Sheehan (4-3) struck out 10 batters, including three in the top of the first after loading the bases with nobody out. He also worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the fifth to keep the Fighting Irish (18-8, 16-8 ACC) off the board. Sheehan scattered three hits, including two in the first, and five walks.
BC got on the board immediately in the first with a bases-loaded sacrifice-fly and quickly built a 5-0 lead by the end of the third with a solo home run from sophomore left fielder Daniel Baruch (Cranston, R.I.) in the second and a three-run jack by junior designated hitter Ramon Jimenez (Chicopee, Mass.) in the third.
After Sheehan stranded the bases loaded in the top of the fifth, the Eagles put the game out of reach with four runs in the home half. Jimenez drove in a run on a bases-loaded single, followed by a two-run single by graduate right fielder Dante Baldelli (Cumberland, R.I.). Junior catcher Peter Burns (Reading, Mass.) finished the scoring in the inning with an RBI double.
Junior second baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.) put the game at its final score with a home run in the sixth.
Freshman left-hander Joe Vetrano (Shrub Oak, N.Y.) took the ball from Sheehan and went the final 2.2 innings. He struck out two and gave up two hits.
Lefty Will Mercer (1-1) lasted four-plus innings, getting pulled in the fifth with nobody out, and was tagged for seven runs on eight hits and three walks with three strikeouts.
Score: Boston College 10, No. 6 Notre Dame 0
Records: Boston College 16-19, 6-16; Notre Dame 18-8, 16-8
Stadium: Harrington Athletics Village
- The Irish loaded the bases with nobody out in the first before Sheehan struck out three in a row to produce a scoreless frame.
- Baruch hit a solo, two-out home run to right in the second.
- Cunningham walked and Cimini singled to set the table in the third for a three-run Jimenez home run.
- The Eagles plated four runs in the fifth, including bases-loaded singles from Jimenez and Baldelli (two runs) plus an RBI double by Burns.
- Notre Dame leads the all-time series 31-17.
- Baruch hit his first career home run.
- Jimenez hit his first home run of the season and second of his career; his first since April 3, 2019, against Hartford.
- Jimenez drove in a career-high four runs in his fifth career multi-hit game.
- Morissette hit his fourth home run of the season and 10th of the season.
- Morissette notched his ninth multi-hit game of the season and 38th of his career.
- Sheehan struck out 10 for the second time this season and is the first BC pitcher to strike out 10 or more since Alex Stiegler vs. NC State (4/11).
- Sheehan has pitched through the sixth in seven consecutive starts and nine of his 10 this season.
The series wraps up with a 2 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday. Junior right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) gets the ball for the opener.