Eight runs over the first three innings was all Grambling State needed as they claimed the opener against TSU by a 10-1 margin Saturday afternoon.
Grambling State jumped ahead 3-0 after one with timely hitting but was also aided by a pair of TSU errors. GSU added a trio of runs in the second to move ahead 6-0 before tacking on a pair of runs on an RBI double by Jahmoi Percival in the third to lead 8-0.
TSU would score its lone run in the third as Nic Garza hit a leadoff double and scored via a wild throw on Oscar Ponce’s single. Facing a big deficit, TSU turned to its bullpen and inserted AJ Winger in place of starter Kam Fields. Winger was effective in his role as he held GSU scoreless for the next four innings while allowing only one hit. GSU would find its way back to the scoreboard in the eighth with a pair of runs
However, TSU couldn’t capitalize offensively as they were held scoreless the rest of the way while only recording five hits total against GSU starter Jason Alvarez.
Ponce led TSU with a 3-for-4 performance at the plate while Fields dropped to 4-4 on the mound.
Both teams return to action Sunday for a 2 p.m. contest at MacGregor Park. At 1 p.m. TSU will honor its seniors during a pregame ceremony.
- W: Alvarez, J (3-3)
- L: Kam Fields (4-4)
- 2B: Percival, J 1; Mervilus, C 1
- 3B: Percival, J 1
- RBI: Percival, J 5; Mack, K 1; Ramirez, R 4
- RUNS: Phelts, C 2; Bufford, C 4; Percival, J 3; Mervilus, C 1
- SB: Phelts, C 1; Bufford, C 1; Percival, J 2
- HBP: Mervilus, C 1
- NCAAF2022.09.18Balanced Approach, Stingy Defensive Effort Fuels 1st TSU Shutout Over Southern Since 1971
- NCAAF2022.09.13North Texas Uses Big Plays To Defeat TSU
- Bonus2022.08.28TSU Athletics Mourns The Passing Of Former Associate AD Jason Jenkins
- NCAAF2022.08.19TSU Tigers Football Team Preview: Running Backs