LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The No. 13 Boston College baseball team lost its series opener to No. 15 Louisville, 7-3, at Jim Patterson Stadium on Friday night. The Eagles dropped to 9-3 overall and 2-2 in the ACC, while the Cardinals improved to 9-4 and 2-2.
The two sides traded blows early and it was BC that held a 3-0 lead in the second inning after some aggressive base-running and three UL errors. The Cardinals countered with four runs on five hits, hitting for the cycle as a team, in the second. The scoring started with a solo home run down the right-field line by left fielder Cameron Masterman.
Junior right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) went just 4.1 innings in the start despite a three-up, three-down first on just eight pitches. Pelio (2-2) surrendered five runs on five hits and six walks with two strikeouts.
BC had Louisville lefty Michael Kirian (3-0) on the ropes early. The Eagles put together a two-out rally to plate a run in the first and added two more in the second. However, Kirian stranded two runners on base in the second and left the bases loaded with no damage in the third. He went five innings with three unearned runs charged to him on six hits and two walks with seven strikeouts; five of which came with a runner in scoring position.
Lefty Adam Elliott went the rest of the way to get the save for the Cardinals. He struck out five in four shutout innings. Graduate lefty Joey Walsh (Plymouth, Mass.) pitched 3.2 innings of relief with a career-high six strikeouts.
Score: No. 15 Louisville 5, No. 13 Boston College 3
Records: Louisville 9-4, 2-2 ACC; Boston College 9-3, 2-2 ACC
Location: Jim Patterson Stadium
- Louisville leads the series 12-5 all-time with the series even at three apiece over the last six match-ups.
- BC is 4-1 when scoring in the first inning and 6-1 when scoring first.
- Baldelli hit his fifth double of the season, matching his career-high, for the 17th of his career.
- Frelick hit his first triple of the season and third of his career.
- Walsh struck out a career-high six batters.
Game two is set for Saturday at 1 p.m. on ACCNX. Junior right-hander Emmet Sheehan (Darien, Conn.) toes the rubber for the Eagles.
- ACCSeptember 24, 2023Boston College Drops ACC Road Opener at Louisville
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10
- ACCAugust 13, 2023Eagles Close Out European Tour with 106-70 Win in Barcelona