DURHAM, N.C. — CJ Felder scored a career-high 24 points and blocked three shots as #21/24 Duke edged the Boston College Eagles, 83-82, on Wednesday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Felder made 10-of-13 shots from the floor, including 4-of-6 from 3-pointer land. He added four boards and three blocks in 27 minutes.
Boston College came out of the gates hot, making seven of its first 10 attempts from the floor, including three 3-pointers. Leading 18-17 with 11:56 left in the first half, the Eagles went on an 11-0 run over the next 3:22, taking a 29-17 lead. BC would lead by as many as 16 in the first half, taking a 41-25 lead with 1:54 to play in the period. But Duke would close the half on a 14-2 run and the Eagles held a 43-39 lead at the break.
The two teams traded baskets to start the second half and the Eagles led 46-41 after a DeMarr Langford FT made it 46-41 with 18:27 to go. Duke took its first lead of the game after a 7-0 push made it 48-46 in favor of the Blue Devils with 17:35 left.
Tied at 75-75 with 1:42 remaining, Duke connected on a 3-pointer and Felder converted a layup on the next two possessions of the game – making it 78-77 in favor of the Blue Devils. Duke turned the ball over with 46 seconds on the clock but officials overturned the call, allowing Wendell Moore Jr. the opportunity to hit a fade-away jumper with two seconds on the shot clock, making it 83-79.
Moore added a free throw with 9.9 seconds left to make it a two-possession game, which provided just enough cushion when Felder hit a 3-pointer with 1 second left for the final margin.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- There were 10 ties and 10 lead changes in the game.
- Rich Kelly earned his first start of the season and scored 14 of his 16 in the first half.
- The grad transfer made 6-of-9 shots (2-3 3FG) before fouling out in 23 minutes
- DeMarr Langford Jr. earned his second start of the season, finishing with 12 points, eight boards, three assists, and two steals in 34 minutes
- Steffon Mitchell added 12 points, five boards, three blocks, an assist, and a steal in 35 minutes.
- Jay Heath scored eight of his 10 points in the second half, adding five rebounds and four assists in 38 minutes.
- Wynston Tabbs came off the bench to score six points and dish out four assists.
- James Karnik corralled seven boards and had two assists, a steal, and a blocked shot in 18 minutes.
- BC shot close to 70% (18-26) in the first half and finished the game shooting at a 56.15 clip (32-57), including 9-of-16 from the perimeter (56.3%).
- The Eagles were 9-of-13 from the foul line. Duke held a decided advantage in trips to the free-throw line, making 15-of-25.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- 21 – Boston College committed 21 turnovers on the night, leading to 25 points for Duke.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
- Five BC players reached double-figures in efficiency, led by CJ Felder’s 24.
- DeMarr Langford Jr. registered a 19 EFF rating, while Rich Kelly was a 17.
- Steffon Mitchell (14) and James Karnik (11) also reached double-digits.
- Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
- Boston College hosts Virginia on Saturday, Jan. 9 at 2 p.m. at Conte Forum. The game will air live on ACC Network.
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10
- ACCAugust 13, 2023Eagles Close Out European Tour with 106-70 Win in Barcelona
- ACCAugust 5, 2023