BC Eagles Defeat Stags, 20-1, as Sophomore Strikes Out Eight
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Boston College baseball team defeated Fairfield, 20-1, at War Memorial Stadium on Sunday. The Eagles evened their record at 5-5, while the Stags remained winless at 0-6.
Sophomore right-handed pitcher Emmet Sheehan (Darien, Conn.) cruised to seven innings pitched with eight strikeouts. Sheehan (1-1) scattered five hits and did not walk a batter, while allowing one run.
BC jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first for the second day in a row. Sophomore third baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.) drilled a two-run home run out to right-center to open the scoring. He homered a second time, another two-run shot, in a three-run fifth inning.
Senior left fielder Joe Suozzi (Glen Cove, N.Y.) added a 3-for-5 afternoon to extend his hit streak to 14 games. He added a double, triple, two RBI and two runs scored.
Score: Boston College 20, Fairfield 1
Records: Boston College 5-5, Fairfield 0-6
Location: World War Memorial Stadium (Greensboro, N.C.)
· Dempsey doubled and Morissette followed with a two-run home run to get the scoring started in the first.
· The Eagles followed Morissette’s long ball with five singles and a walk to produce four more runs in the first. Baldelli provided the big knock, a two-run single through the left side.
· Suozzi lined a triple to center field and scored on a Cunningham double.
· Sheehan held the Stags hitless through 3.2 innings.
· Boston College and Fairfield are even in the all-time series, 6-6.
· BC scored 19 runs or more in consecutive games for the first time since 1999.
· BC scored 20 runs for the first time since a 22-run performance at Northeastern (3/24/15).
· Baldelli stole his first and second bases of the season to move his career total to 33.
· Cunningham recorded his sixth multi-hit game of the season and 32nd of his career with his third double of the season; 24th of his career.
· Brian Dempsey hit his third double of the season and 16th of his career.
· Sal Frelick extended his career-best hit and reached base streaks to 10 and 18 games.
· Frelick stole his fifth and sixth bases of the season to lift his career total to 24.
· Morissette hit his first and second home runs of the season and fifth and sixth of his career. It marked the second two-home run game of his career; having done so vs. Clemson (5/21) at the 2019 ACC Championship.
· Sheehan set career-highs in innings (7.0) and strikeouts (8).
· Suozzi extended his career-best hit and reached base streaks to 14 and 18 games.
· Suozzi tallied his sixth multi-hit game of the season and 21st of his career with his second triple of the season; fourth of his career.
Boston College faces North Carolina A&T Monday at 2 p.m.
Boston College 20, Fairfield 1 (Mar 01, 2020 at Greensboro, N.C.)
Fairfield……….. 000 100 000 – 1 6 1 (0-6)
Boston College…… 613 030 34X – 20 22 0 (5-5)
Pitchers: Fairfield – Signore, John; Cowell, Mike(1); Erbeck, Jack(5); Oliphant, Eli(5); Hebner, Jason(7) and Caruso, Mike; Esposito, Nick. Boston College – Sheehan, Emmet; Campbell, Jon(8); Moore, Evan(9) and Burns, Peter; Landwehr, Parker.
Win-Sheehan, Emmet(1-1) Loss-Signore, John(0-2) T-2:52 A-75
HR BC – Morissette, Cody 2 (2).
Weather: 50, Sunny, SW 6 MPH