PHOENIX – The Boston College baseball team suffered a weekend sweep to No. 8 Arizona State with an 8-4 loss in front of 2,107 at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on Sunday. The Eagles, who have lost four in a row, are now 3-4, while the Sun Devils improved to 5-3.
BC found itself in a 3-0 hole after the first inning, but redshirt-junior lefty Joey Walsh (Plymouth, Mass.) was able to steady the ship after entering with the bases loaded and two away in the first.
The Eagles picked up a run on three hits in the third; scoring on a two-out double by sophomore third baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.). ASU answered in the bottom half with a run-scoring from third on a stolen base attempt after evading a tag in a rundown with two outs.
Boston College bounced back in the fifth, tying the game with three runs. Sophomore right fielder Sal Frelick (Lexington, Mass.) drew a leadoff walk and scored on a base hit up the middle by senior shortstop Brian Dempsey (Potomac, Md.). Morissette doubled in a run and senior first baseman Jack Cunningham (South Riding, Va.) drove in the tying run on a groundball to the right side.
Walsh (0-1) nearly escaped the sixth with a shutdown inning, but a leadoff-walk scored on a two-out error on the infield. He finished the inning and ended the day with two runs allowed, one earned, on three hits and three walks with a strikeout in 4.1 innings of relief.
Arizona State added to its lead in the sixth against junior lefty Will Hesslink (Shelburne, Vt.). With two gone and nobody on, BC elected to walk first baseman, Spencer Torkelson. Left fielder Trevor Hauver then followed with a two-run home run; his second of the series.
Lefty Justin Fall, who was originally slated to start on Friday night, allowed four runs on six hits and four walks with two strikeouts in a four-inning no-decision. Right-hander Cam Dennie (1-0) pitched a perfect sixth to earn the win.
Torkelson was 2-for-3 on the day with two walks and three runs; adding a solo home run with two outs on a 0-2 pitch in the eighth.
Score: No. 8 Arizona State 8, Boston College 4
Records: Arizona State 5-3, Boston College 3-4
Location: Phoenix Municipal Stadium (Phoenix)
- Morissette delivered the first Eagle run of the day on a two-out double that scored Frelick.
- The Eagles evened the game at 4-4 with three runs in the fifth with RBI from Dempsey, Morissette, and Cunningham.
- BC is 0-7 all-time against Arizona State and 1-10 vs. the Pac-12.
- Frelick stole his fourth base of the season and 22nd of his career.
- Frelick added his third multi-hit game of the season and 21st of his career.
- Morissette hit his third double of the season and 23rd of his career.
- Morissette picked up his second multi-hit game of the season and 24th of his career.
- Suozzi doubled in the fifth to extend his career-best hit streak to 11 games. It marked his second double of the season and 15th of his career.
The Eagles hit the road for an eight-game road trip that opens Friday, Feb. 28 at North Carolina A&T.
- ACC2022.06.17Boston College Lands Six on Phil Steele’s Preseason ACC Team
- ACC2022.06.07Kuechly Earns Spot on College Football Hall of Fame Ballot
- ACC2022.05.24Gold Named to All-ACC Second Team. BC’s Second Baseman Hit .308
- ACC2022.05.22BC Shut Out in Season Finale. Eagles close 2022 with 5-0 loss at Clemson