CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Despite a late second-half push, Boston College fell, 64-54, to Saint Louis in the Showcase game of the Gotham Classic on Wednesday afternoon.
With the Eagles holding a two-point lead – 26-24 – at the break, SLU broke the game open with a 33-9 run through the first 14:10 of the second half. The Billikens held as much s a 20-point lead after a Hasahn French dunk made it 57-37 with 5:07 to play.
BC would counter with a 17-3 run over the next 3:43, capped by a Chris Herren Jr. 3-pointer, which cut it to a two-possession ballgame at 60-54 with 57 ticks remaining. But that was as close as the Eagles would get.
Boston College would start the game strong, holding a 10-1 lead less than six minutes in. A Nik Popovic dunk gave the Eagles a 10-point lead – 16-6 – with 12:20 left in the half. SLU would use an 18-8 run over the next 10:21 as the Eagles went flat offensively, tying it at 24-24 with just over a minute to play in the half.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Derryck Thornton led the Eagles with 18 points. He added seven rebounds, five assists, and two steals in 39 minutes of play.
- Nik Popovic added 15 points, eight boards, two steals, a blocked shot, and an assist.
- Chris Herren Jr. scored a season-high eight points in 24 minutes of action. He knocked down 2-of-3 from beyond the arc while tallying three boards and two steals.
- Jairus Hamilton returned to action after missing the last six games for BC. He had eight points, two rebounds, and an assist.
- Jay Heath missed the game due to illness. Classmate Julian Rishwain replaced him in the starting lineup.
- Steffon Mitchell grabbed eight rebounds in 20 foul-plagued minutes.
- The Eagles shot 35.2% from the floor (19-54), including 6-of-18 from beyond the arc.
- SLU was only slightly better, connecting on 35.9% (23-64).
- The Billikens outrebounded BC, 49-37 – including a 17-6 edge on the offensive glass.
- SLU held a 16-5 advantage in second-chance points.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- 9 – Boston College dished out a season-low nine assists.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
- Two players – Derryck Thornton and Nik Popovic – managed double-digit efficiency marks
- Both players registered an EFF of 17.
- Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
- Boston College closes out the month of November with a true road matchup at Richmond.
- Tipoff is set for 2:30 p.m. and the game will air live on the NBC Sports Network. Ryan Burr and Ron Thompson have the call.
- The game can also be heard live on the Boston College Learfield IMG College Sports Network with Josh Maurer and Danya Abrams on WEEI 850 AM.
- ACCSeptember 24, 2023Boston College Drops ACC Road Opener at Louisville
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10
- ACCAugust 13, 2023Eagles Close Out European Tour with 106-70 Win in Barcelona