Boston College pitching leads the way in a 2-1 win
BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team pulled out its second consecutive 2-1 win with a victory over Harvard at the Harrington Athletics Village on Wednesday night. The Eagles evened their record at 24-24 overall, while the Crimson dropped to 23-12.
For the second day in a row, BC was aided by an error in its last turn at-bat to plate the game-winning run. The Eagles entered the eighth with just one hit, a leadoff single by junior first baseman Jack Cunningham (South Riding, Va.) that led to BC’s game-tying run in the fourth.
Cunningham and senior catcher Gian Martellini (Johnston, R.I.) hit back-to-back one-out singles to get the Eagles going in the eighth. A hit batter loaded the bases and with two down freshman designated hitter Lucas Stalman (Bedford Hills, N.Y.) hit a groundball to third that could not be handled and brought in the go-ahead run.
Redshirt-sophomore lefty Joey Walsh (Plymouth, Mass.) lasted a career-high five innings in the start. He allowed just one run on one hit, both of which came in the fourth, and scattered three walks with two strikeouts. Freshman RHP Emmet Sheehan (Darien, Conn.) struck out the only batter he faced to earn the win in his first career decision. Junior RHP Matt Gill (Simsbury, Conn.) pitched a clean ninth to earn his fourth save of the season.
Score: Boston College 2, Harvard 1
Records: Boston College (24-24), Harvard (23-12)
Location: Harrington Athletics Village (Brighton, Mass.)
- Cunningham picked up his 13th multi-hit game of the season and 24th of his career.
- Martellini singled to move his hit streak to a season-high 11 games.
- Walsh pitched a career-high five innings; surpassing his previous of high of four, which he reached on three occasions.
- BC is 8-5 against New England opponents this season and has won seven in a row against regional rivals.
The Eagles’ weekend series at Virginia Tech gets a late start with game one on Saturday, May 4 at 6 p.m. The delayed start to the weekend is due to the series finale set for Monday at 7 p.m. on ESPNU.
- ACCFebruary 10, 2024Boston College Names Bill O’Brien Head Football Coach
- ACCJanuary 28, 2024Another Season Sweep of the Irish as BC wins 61-58
- ACCJanuary 25, 2024Complete 2024 BC Football Schedule Released
- ACCJanuary 14, 2024Boston College: Shorthanded Eagles Battle Clemson on Saturday