Eagles pound out season-high 18 hits in 10-5 win
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Boston College baseball hit its way to a 10-5 win over Bryant at Conaty Park on Wednesday afternoon. The Eagles lifted their record to 21-22 on the season and dropped the Bulldogs to 28-13.
BC pounded out a season-high 18 hits and scored in six of the first seven innings while overcoming a brief 2-1 deficit after the first inning. Senior third baseman Jake Alu (Hamilton, N.J.) posted his second four-hit game in as many days with a 4-for-5 effort at the plate. Eight batters in the Eagle lineup recorded a hit and six posted multi-hit games.
After surrendering a quick 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, Boston College responded with three runs on four hits in the second. With the bases loaded and nobody out, sophomore designated hitter Chris Galland (Sudbury, Mass.) plated the tying and go-ahead run with a base hit through the left side. Galland went 3-for-4 out of the nine-hole with his first three-hit game of the season and a career-high four RBI.
Redshirt-sophomore lefty Joey Walsh (Plymouth, Mass.) made the start for the Eagles and earned the win. Walsh (3-5) lasted 3.1 innings and gave up three runs, two earned, on six hits and three walks with two strikeouts. He also started an inning-ending double play with runners on the corners in the second.
Score: Boston College 10, Bryant 5
Records: Boston College (21-22), Bryant (28-13)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Alu led off the game with a single and scored from third on a wild pitch.
- The Eagles loaded the bases with no outs in the second and went back in front on a two-run single pulled through the left side by Galland. Frelick added a bases-loaded sacrifice fly to make it a three-run inning.
- With Bulldogs on the corners and one out, Walsh maintained BC’s two-run lead by snagging a liner up the middle and tossing to third for a double play.
- BC staged a two-out rally in the third as Suozzi doubled to left and Galland drove him in with a single to right.
- Baldelli robbed a home run, leaping at the wall in center field, to keep Bryant off the board in the bottom of the third.
- The Eagles are 5-4 against New England opponents and have won four in a row against regional rivals.
- Alu recorded his 17th multi-hit game of the season, 42nd of his career and second consecutive four-hit game.
- Galland tallied his third multi-RBI game of the season and sixth of his career with a career-high four RBI.
- Martellini hit his eighth and ninth doubles of the season to push his career total to 35 with the second two-double day of his career.
- Suozzi collected his sixth multi-hit game of the season and 10th of his career.
- BC scored 10 runs or more for the ninth time this season and are 8-1 when scoring 10 or more.
- The Eagles recorded a season-high 18 hits; beating its 16 at Bethune-Cookman (2/24).
The Eagles return home for an ACC series against Duke beginning Friday, April 26 at 6 p.m. Saturday’s game against the Blue Devils will be Boston College’s 8thAnnual ALS Awareness Game. Admission to all BC baseball games is free and this weekend’s series will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.