BC-GT Friday Night Recap
BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team knocked off No. 17 Georgia Tech, 9-2, at the Harrington Athletics Village on Friday night. The Eagles’ fourth win in a row moved them to 18-17 overall and 7-9 in the ACC, while the Yellow Jackets dropped to 22-12 and 9-7.
BC scored in five of the first seven innings in support of senior left-handed starter Dan Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.). Senior third baseman Jake Alu (Hamilton, N.J.) doubled to lead off the bottom of the first and scored the game’s first run.
Metzdorf (4-2) kept the Eagles in front the rest of the way, aided by two double plays, as he faced just one over the minimum through six innings. He struck out six in 6.2 innings and was ultimately lifted with two runs in during the seventh. Metzdorf walked two and scattered four hits.
Boston College led 4-0 after four and pulled away with a three-run fifth. Alu and freshman right fielder Sal Frelick (Lexington, Mass.) each doubled to produce a run and freshman second baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.) finished the inning with a two-run double.
Georgia Tech finally got to Metzdorf in the seventh with two runs on two hits and a walk. The Eagles responded with two runs of their own in the bottom half as Morissette drove in two more on a two-out single.
Xzavion Curry (4-1) took his first loss of the season in a five-inning effort as he allowed seven runs, four earned, on 11 hits and no walks with four strikeouts.
Score: Boston College 9, Georgia Tech 2
Records: Boston College (18-17, 7-9), Georgia Tech (22-12, 9-7)
Location: Harrington Athletics Village (Brighton, Mass.)
Mike Gambino, Head Coach:
“[Our guys] were locked in and executing at-bats. Ramon [Jimenez] had a big situational at-bat. The safety bunt was well executed. Top-to-bottom, they just had great at-bats. [Xzavion] Curry has a really good fastball. Honestly, it was just about having quality at-bats and guys staying through the baseball and driving the ball to the middle of the field.”
- Alu hit a leadoff double in the bottom of the second and scored the first run of the night on an infield-single from Frelick.
- Metzdorf got a called strike three to end the top of the second and strand a runner at second.
- Alu hit a two-out triple in the third and scored on a Dempsey single to right.
- Alu and Frelick each doubled to start a three-run fifth inning and Morissette added a two-run double to cap the scoring in the frame.
- Brian Dempsey singled and Frelick walked to set the table in the bottom of the seventh after BC allowed two runs in the top half. Jack Cunningham bunted the two up a base and Morissette delivered them home with a two-run single.
- Alu tallied his 14th multi-hit game of the season and 39th of his career.
- Alu hit his team-leading 12th and 13th doubles, pushing his career total to 31, and first triple of the season, the second of his career.
- Alu posted the fourth two-double game of his career.
- Cunningham singled in the fourth to set a career-high eight-game hit streak and match his career-best reached base streak at 14; his second of the season.
- Frelick collected his 14th multi-hit game of the season.
- Morissette hit his 11th double of the season and recorded his 12th multi-hit and fifth multi-RBI games of the season.
- Metzdorf matched the team-lead for six-plus inning start with his fifth of the season as he went 6.2 and matched his season-high in strikeouts at six.
- Dempsey registered his 14th multi-hit game of the season and 33rd of his career.
- Metzdorf and Lane combined for 11 strikeouts in the eighth game of 10-plus strikeouts for BC this season.
- BC is 6-7 against ranked opponents this season.
- The Eagles trail the all-time series vs. the Yellow Jackets, 18-13, but has won six of the last eight match-ups dating back to 2015
Boston College hosts its annual “Military Appreciation” game against Georgia Tech at 2 p.m. Saturday.
- ACC2019.07.18Addazio, Dillon and Karafa Set for ACC Kickoff
- ACC2019.07.07Former Birdballer Dunn Selected to MLB Futures Game
- ACC2019.07.05Ky Bowman Makes NBA Debut with Golden State Warriors
- ACC2019.06.28Phase II: BC’s Harrington Athletics Village to be Named in Honor of Alumnus, ALS Hero, Pete Frates ‘07