Eagles fall 80-70; Jordan Chatman leads the team with 21 points
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Jordan Chatman connected on 6-of-10 from the perimeter, leading Boston College with 21 points in an 80-70 loss at Louisville on Wednesday night.
Trailing by 23 – 71-48 – with 9:10 to play, the Eagles used a 22-4 run late in the second half to get within five. Chatman scored 10 points during the stretch while the BC defense forced three turnovers.
A Nik Popovic layup with 1:50 left cut it to five – 75-70 – but the Eagles would get no closer. On their next possession, the Cardinals hit the offensive glass to generate a second-chance 3-pointer that sealed the win for the home squad.
After a slow start for both teams – both BC and Louisville connected on 2-of-9 to start the game – the Eagles went on a 19-9 run, taking a 12-point lead in the first half. Jordan Chatman’s 3-pointer with 7:18 left in the period made it 28-16.
But the Cardinals would score nine unanswered points, beginning a run that closed the half outscoring the Eagles, 27-5. Louisville led 43-33 at the break.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Jordan Chatman led BC with 21 points. The senior guard was 7-of-12 from the floor – including making 6-of-10 from the perimeter. He added two rebounds, three assists, and two steals in 38 minutes.
- It is Chatman’s ninth career game with 20 points or more and his third career game with at least six 3-pointers.
- Ky Bowman registered his sixth double-double of the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The junior point guard added seven assists and a steal in 40 minutes of play.
- Over his last two games, Bowman has grabbed 29 rebounds.
- Nik Popovic had 14 points and seven rebounds in 31 minutes of action.
- Jared Hamilton earned his first start of the season and scored seven points. He added a rebound and a steal in 23 minutes.
- Steffon Mitchell returned to the BC lineup and had two points, two rebounds, two assists, three blocked shots, and a steal before fouling out in 24 minutes.
- Wynston Tabbs did not travel to Louisville and is day-to-day.
- BC’s bench – Mitchell, Luka Kraljevic, Chris Herren Jr., and Johncarlos Reyes – combined for 11 points.
- The Eagles shot 45.0% from the floor for the game (27-60) and made 7-of-23 (30.4%) from beyond the arc. BC connected on 9-of-12 from the foul line.
STAT OF THE GAME:
29 – Ky Bowman has grabbed 29 rebounds over his last two games.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
Jordan Chatman led BC with an efficiency mark of 21. Ky Bowman (18) and Nik Popovic (10) were the other Eagles in double-digits. Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO).
Boston College returns home to host Florida State in an ACC matchup on Sunday, Jan. 20. Tipoff is set for noon ET and the game can be seen live on ESPNU. Anish Shroff and Cory Alexander have the broadcast call on the game. The game can also be heard live on the Boston College IMG Sports Network with Josh Maurer and Danya Abrams.