BOSTON – For just the 10th time in America East history, Kevin Roberson Men’s Basketball Player of the Year is a repeat selection. Vermont’s Ryan Davis was the unanimous choice to win the league’s top honor for the second-straight year, highlighting the 2021-22 award winners announced on Friday afternoon.
Davis was joined as a major award winner by four others, including teammate Aaron Deloney (Sixth Man of the Year) and his coach, John Becker (Coach of the Year). Two UAlbany Great Danes earned the other two honors as Jamel Horton was named Defensive Player of the Year and Justin Neely took home Rookie of the Year recognition.
All of the conference’s 2021-22 major awards were announced along with the All-Conference, All-Defensive, All-Rookie and All-Academic teams. Award winners were determined in a vote by the league’s head coaches, who could not vote for their own players.
Kevin Roberson Player of the Year
Ryan Davis, Sr., Forward, Vermont
- Davis is the 10th player in league history to win the league’s top honor for a second time.
- Was a unanimous selection.
- Sixth-straight Catamount to earn the award and 14th all-time.
- League leader averaging 17.2 points per game.
- Ranks second in field goal percentage (.579) and is seventh in rebounding (5.8 rpg).
- Also a first-team All-Conference honoree for the second-straight year.
Defensive Player of the Year
Jamel Horton, Sr., Guard, UAlbany
- Just the second Great Dane to win the honor and first since Brian Lillis in 2006-07.
- Led a UAlbany defense that ranked second in scoring defense in conference play
- Also an All-Defensive team and second-team All-Conference choice.
Sixth Man of the Year
Aaron Deloney, Jr., Guard, Vermont
- Key contributor on Vermont’s regular-season title-winning squad.
- Fifth Catamount to win the award in its nine-year existence.
- Averages 7.7 points and 1.3 rebounds in under 15 minutes per game off the bench.
- Upped those numbers to 9.7 ppg in conference play.
- Shoots 50 percent from the field and 39 percent from three-point land ranking fourth on the team in three-pointers made.
- Scored career-high 24 points in a win over NJIT on Feb. 2.
Rookie of the Year
Justin Neely, Fr., Forward, UAlbany
- Just the fourth Great Dane to earn the honor, joining program greats Jamar Wilson, Jon Iati, and Joe Cremo.
- Top rookie scorer averaging 6.6 points in just 16 minutes of action game.
- Added 4.5 rebounds per contest.
- Was named #AEHoops Rookie of the Week a league-high six times this season.
- Highlighted the All-Rookie team as one of five selections.
Coach of the Year
John Becker – 11th Season
- Padded his conference record by earning Coach of the Year honors for the sixth time.
- Fifth time in the last six seasons he’s earned the award.
- Led Vermont to its sixth-straight #AEHoops regular-season title as it went 17-1, becoming the first #AEHoops team to win 17 games in over 25 seasons.
- The Catamounts (25-5) have won 19 of their last 20 games.
A veteran group of 11 seniors and four juniors comprised the All-Conference teams. The top five teams in the league standings comprised 12 of the15 selections.
All major award winners and the majority of All-Conference honorees will be in action on Sunday for #AEPlayoffs quarterfinals. Complete tournament information can be found at americaeast.com/mbbplayoffs
About America East: The America East provides its member schools and their athletic programs a platform upon which student-athletes can achieve both collegiate and life success through the promotion and nurturing of athletic excellence, academic achievement, and leadership, on and off the field.
- America East Conference2023.03.05Top Three Seeds Plus No. 5 Binghamton Advance to Men’s #AEPlayoffs Semifinals
- America East Conference2023.03.04Vermont’s Sullivan Tabbed Kevin Roberson Player of Year to Headline 2022-23 Men’s #AEHoops Award Winners
- America East Conference2023.03.02Let’s Go! Jersey Mike’s Men’s #AEPlayoffs Bracket Set
- America East Conference2022.10.21Vermont Tops 2022-23 America East Men’s Basketball Preseason Poll, Paces All-Conference Selections