BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team closed out the 2021 season with an 8-6 victory over Virginia at the Harrington Athletics Village on Saturday afternoon. The Eagles end the season 21-28 overall and 10-23 in the ACC, while the Cavaliers head into the postseason at 27-22 and 18-18.
Junior center fielder Sal Frelick (Lexington, Mass.) led the BC lineup from the leadoff spot by reaching base in all five plate appearances. He went 2-for-2 with a double, two runs, two RBI, two walks, and a hit-by-pitch. Junior second baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.) followed in the order with a four-RBI game on 2-for-4 hitting.
The Eagles came back from an early 3-0 deficit with a three-run third. Frelick doubled in the first BC run of the day and Morissette tied it up on a base hit ripped off the pitchers’ glove. Virginia briefly led 4-3, but Morissette quickly turned the game in the Eagles’ favor with a go-ahead, two-run home run to right-center.
Graduate right-hander Alex Stiegler (Dallas, Texas) overcame a three-run first and hung around long enough to leave with a lead. He allowed four runs on seven hits and four walks with four strikeouts. In a 3-3 game, UVA regained the lead against Stiegler (4-3) on a leadoff-home run in the fourth by shortstop Nick Kent, but the BC starter responded by stranding each of the next four baserunners to reach in his final three innings.
Lefty Nate Savino (2-3) went 4.1 innings for the Cavaliers. He gave up five runs on six hits and two walks with three strikeouts.
Score: Boston College 9, Virginia 2
Records: Virginia 27-21, 18-17; Boston College 20-28, 9-23
Stadium: Harrington Athletics Village
- Frelick doubled in the first Eagle run of the day in the third, followed by a run-scoring passed ball and a Morissette single to plate Frelick that tied the game, 3-3.
- Frelick took a leadoff walk in the fifth and Morissette flipped a one-run deficit to a one-run lead with a two-run homer to right.
- Galland and Frelick singled in the sixth to set up a Morissette sacrifice-fly.
- Cunningham lined a leadoff double in the seventh and scored on a hustle-double by Dempsey.
- Cunningham hit his 12th double of the season and 36th of his career.
- Cunningham notched his 12th multi-hit game of the season and 47th of his career.
- Dempsey hit his eighth double of the season and 25th of his career.
- Dempsey pushed his career total to 234 hits, which is third all-time at BC.
- Frelick stole two bases to push his season total to 13 and career total to 38.
- Frelick extended his career-best hit streak to 19 games, the third-longest in BC history, and career-best reached base streak to 21 games.
- Frelick hit his team-leading 17th double of the season and 27th of his career.
- Frelick tallied his 19th multi-hit game of the season and 40th of his career.
- Morissette hit his sixth home run of the season and 12th of his career.
- Morissette extended his career-best hit streak to 16 games, tied for the fifth-longest in BC history.
- Morissette recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the season and 47th of his career.
- Morissette matched his career-high in RBI with his fifth four-RBI game.