BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team lost to Miami, 2-0, at the Harrington Athletics Village on Saturday to even the weekend series. The Eagles dropped to 18-22 overall and 7-19 in the ACC, while the Hurricanes improved to 24-14 and 15-13.
Junior right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) pitched through the sixth for the second Saturday in a row but left down two. Pelio (3-6) surrendered two runs, one apiece in the first and fourth on six hits and two walks with four strikeouts.
Miami right-hander Alex McFarlane (2-0) made his first start of the season and provided five-shutout innings. He scattered three hits with five strikeouts and no walks.
The Eagles staged a rally in the ninth beginning with a leadoff double by junior center fielder Sal Frelick (Lexington, Mass.). Sophomore designated hitter Luke Gold (Ballston, N.Y.) picked up his third hit of the game to drive in Frelick, but the BC rally ended a batter later as Miami lefty Carson Palmquist locked down his 10th save of the season.
Score: Miami 2, Boston College 1
Records: Miami 24-14, 15-13; Boston College 18-22, 7-19
Stadium: Harrington Athletics Village
- BC pitchers combined for 10 or more strikeouts for the 17th time this season.
- Frelick doubled in the ninth to keep an 11-game hit streak alive and match his career-high.
- Gold collected his 15th multi-hit game of the season and 19th of his career.
- Pelio pitched his 13th career start of six innings or more and fourth in a row in ACC play.
- Walsh matched a career-high with six strikeouts; having previously done so against Louisville (3/12/21).
The series rubber match is set for 1 p.m. Sunday on ACCNX. Graduate right-hander Alex Stiegler (Dallas, Texas) goes to the mound for Boston College.