BRIGHTON, Mass. – No. 13 Boston College baseball bashed five home runs in a 10-5 win over Maine at the Harrington Athletics Village on Tuesday. The Eagles improved to 9-2, while the Black Bears fell to 3-2.
The game went back-and-forth through the first six innings until sophomore third baseman Luke Gold (Ballston, N.Y.) blasted a go-ahead, two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh to break a 5-5 tie. BC went back-to-back as freshman left fielder Cameron Leary (Bethpage, N.Y.) followed with his second home run of the afternoon.
Junior second baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.) also hit two home runs in the game. He hit a solo shot in the first and a two-run shot in the eighth.
Freshman right-handed pitcher Joey Ryan (Norwood, Mass.) made his first career start and went five innings with six strikeouts. He gave up two runs on two hits and two walks and took a no-decision after leaving with a 3-2 lead. Freshman lefty Charlie Coon (Duxbury, Mass.) pitched the final three innings. Coon (1-0) got the win with one run allowed on four hits and four strikeouts.
Score: No. 13 Boston College 10, Maine 5
Records: Boston College 9-2; Maine 3-2
Location: Harrington Athletics Village (Brighton, Mass.)
- Morissette tied the game with a first-inning, solo home run.
- Cunningham tied the game 2-2 with an RBI-double in the fourth and scored the go-ahead run on a sacrifice-fly from Gold.
- Gold put the Eagles in front for good in the seventh with a two-run home run down the left-field line. Leary immediately followed with a home run down the right-field line.
- Morissette’s second home run of the day went over the scoreboard in right field.
- BC is 3-2 when the opponent scores first and 4-2 when the opponent scores in the first inning.
- BC homered five times to push its season total to 18 in just 11 games; surpassing the 2018 season’s total of 14 in 49 games. It marked the third game of the season with four or more home runs.
- Cunningham hit his fourth double of the season and 28th of his career.
- Frelick added his eighth multi-hit game of the season and 29th of his career.
- Gold hit his team-leading fifth home run of the season.
- Gold and Leary became the first BC teammates to hit back-to-back home runs since Mitch Bigras and Jake Palomaki against Virginia Tech (3/24/18).
- Leary hit the first two home runs of his career.
- Morissette recorded his third career two-home run game to push his career total to nine.
Boston College is on the road for its third consecutive series at a top-25 opponent when it visits No. 10 Louisville beginning Friday, March 12 at 6 p.m.
- ACCNovember 25, 2023Boston College Heads to Bowl Game on Three-Game Slide
- ACCNovember 17, 2023Boston College Comes Up Short at Pittsburgh
- ACCNovember 4, 2023BC Bowls Over Syracuse; Extends Win Streak to Five Games
- ACCOctober 31, 2023ACC Announces Future Conference Football Schedule Model