CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Jay Heath scored a career-high 27 points, Rich Kelly added 25, and Boston College made a season-high 18 3-pointers, beating Miami 84-62 on Tuesday night to snap a four-game losing streak.
Steffon Mitchell added 12 points for Boston College (3-9, 1-5 Atlantic Coast Conference), which avenged last season’s 85-58 loss at Miami. CJ Felder had 10 points, eight rebounds, three steals, and blocked a career-best five shots.
Kelly was 7-of-12 from long range and Heath made 5-of-9. It was the first time two BC players scored at least 25 points apiece in the same game since Dec. 9, 2017 (Bowman 30; Robinson 25 vs. Duke).
The Eagles made nine 3-pointers in the first half and finished 18 of 35 (51%). They made 12 3s in a five-point loss at Minnesota and hit a program-record 19 from long range in last season’s 84-71 loss at home against Syracuse.
The Eagles opened the second half on a 23-11 run, stretching their lead to 67-44 with 10 minutes remaining. Heath made consecutive 3-pointers and Demarr Langford Jr. added a 3 to cap the surge.
CJ Felder filled the stat sheet on the night, with 10 points, eight rebounds, two assists, three steals, and a career-high five blocked shots. Steffon Mitchell finished with 12 points (3-4 3FG), seven boards, two assists, a steal, and two blocks.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Rich Kelly’s 27 points is a season-high and is his highest scoring output since Jan. 24, 2020, when he tallied 27 against Fairfield.
- It is Kelly’s second career game with seven 3-pointers, knocking down 7-of-12 attempts.
- The grad transfer also had seven treys against Fairfield on Feb. 17, 2018
- Kelly also had four assists and two rebounds.
- Jay Heath registered a career-high 25 points on the night – his second career 20+ point performance.
- Heath made 5-of-9 from beyond the arc – his third career game with at least five threes.
- The sophomore guard added seven rebounds, four assists, and two steals.
- CJ Felder also had a full stat line, tacking on 10 points, eight rebounds, two assists, three steals, and five blocked shots.
- He is the first player in six years to post such a line in an ACC game (Rakeem Christmas vs. Virginia Tech: 15 points/12 rebounds/two assists/four steals/five blocks)
- Steffon Mitchell added 12 points, tying his career-high with three 3-pointers. He added seven boards, two assists, two blocks, and a steal.
- DeMarr Langford had six points, three boards, three assists, and two steals.
- Kamari Williams saw close to 14 minutes off the bench, grabbing four rebounds – including three on the offensive glass.
- For the game, BC shot 47.6% (30-63) and 51.4% (18-35) from the perimeter.
- The 18 3-pointers made vs. Miami marks the second-highest single-game total in BC history and is the most 3’s made in an ACC game this season.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- 21 – Boston College scored a season-high 21 points in transition on the night.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
- Not surprisingly, Boston College posted some of the highest efficiency marks of the season.
- Three Eagles came in at 23 or higher, led by Jay Heath’s a 26 EFF mark. Rich Kelly was a 25, while CJ Felder was at 23.
- Steffon Mitchell finished with an efficiency rating of 18.
- Both players registered a 15 EFF mark.
- Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
- Boston College heads to Notre Dame on Saturday. Tipoff at the Joyce Center is set for 4 p.m. and the game will air live on ACC Network.
- The game can also be heard on the Boston College Learfield IMG College Sports Network with Josh Maurer and Danya Abrams on WEEI 850 AM