Metzdorf spares BC bullpen in seven-inning effort
BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Boston College baseball team was shut out by No. 20 Clemson, 8-1, at the Harrington Athletics Village on Friday evening. The loss dropped the Eagles to 11-10 overall and 2-5 in the ACC, while the Tigers improved to 17-5 and 5-2.
Right-hander Davis Sharpe (3-1) worked seven scoreless innings in the start for Clemson. He gave up only three hits and two walks while striking out six.
BC’s only scoring threat against Sharpe came in the second inning. Senior third baseman Jake Alu (Hamilton, N.J.) hit a leadoff double to center and junior first baseman Jack Cunningham (South Riding, Va.) singled to put runners on the corners with no outs. A groundball back to Sharpe started a double play that thwarted the Eagles’ lineup.
Senior lefty Dan Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) pitched 7.1 innings for Boston College. He surrendered two singles and a double to score a run in the second and nearly escaped with just the one against him, but third baseman James Parker delivered a two-out double to score two more. For the game, Metzdorf (2-2) allowed seven runs on seven hits with six strikeouts.
Score: Clemson 8, Boston College 1
Records: Clemson (17-5, 5-2), Boston College (11-10, 2-5)
Location: Harrington Athletics Village (Brighton, Mass.)
- Alu hit his sixth double of the season and 24th of his career.
- Cunningham recorded his sixth multi-hit game of the season and 17th of his career.
- Metzdorf threw his second start of seven innings or more this season.
Boston College and Clemson resume the series Saturday at 2 p.m. Junior RHP Matt Gill (Simsbury, Conn.) toes the rubber for the Eagles
- W: SHARPE (3-1)
- L: Dan Metzdorf (2-2)
- 2B: BYRD 1; MAJKOWSKI 1; PARKER 1
- RBI: HALL 1; DAVIDSON 1; MAJKOWSKI 1; TEODOSIO 1; GREENE 1; PARKER 2
- RUNS: HALL 1; BYRD 1; WILKIE 1; B. HAWKINS 2; MAJKOWSKI 2; TEODOSIO 1
- SB: HALL 1; DAVIDSON 1
- CS: PARKER 1
- HBP: MAJKOWSKI 2
- PO: PARKER 1