BOSTON COLLEGE VS. NORTH CAROLINA – ALL-TIME SERIES
- Today’s game marks the 23rd meeting between the two schools.
- Boston College is 5-17 all-time vs. UNC, dating back to 1966-67.
- In ACC play, BC is 4-15 against North Carolina.
- The Tar Heels have captured the last 11 matchups.
- Boston College’s last win over UNC came on Feb. 20, 2010 – 71-67 – at Conte Forum.
- Last season, the Tar Heels won, 96-66, on Jan. 9, 2018 in Chapel Hill.
- Boston College is 1-7 all-time at home vs. Carolina.
BOSTON COLLEGE IN ACC PLAY
- Boston College is 81-154 in 13 seasons in the ACC.
- The Eagles finished with a 7-11 record in ACC play last year – the most conference wins since the 2012-13 season.
- BC’s best ACC mark came in its inaugural season, going 11-5 in conference play in 2005-06 en route to a third-place finish.
- Boston College tied for third in 2006-07 (10-6) and fourth in 2010-11 (9-7).
KY BOWMAN: THE NATION’S MOST DYNAMIC GUARD
- Ky Bowman is one of two players in the country averaging at least: 19.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 1.3 steals, and 0.6 blocks per game. The stat line is one of the most well-rounded in the past 26 years of Division I basketball.
- The last player to post at least that stat line was Penny Hardaway of Memphis in 1992-93: 21.0 ppg/8.5 rpg/6.4 apg/2.5 spg/1.2 bpg.
- Bowman is the only player nationally at 6-1 or shorter to average 7.6 rebounds.
- Last year, Bowman was the only player in the country to average at least 17.6 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per game.
- Since the 1990-91 season, only 10 players have registered at least those season averages.
- One of those players was National Player of the Year – Denzel Valentine of Michigan State in 2016.
- Three were top three NBA Draft picks: Ben Simmons, LSU (#1, 2016); Evan Turner, Ohio State (#2, 2010); and Hardaway, Memphis (#3, 1993).
- Five were first-round NBA Draft picks: Simmons; Turner; Hardaway; Valentine (#14, 2016); Bob Sura, FSU (#17, 1995).
- Seven were named their conference’s Player of the Year: Valentine (2015-16); Hardaway (1991-92); Turner (2009-10); Trenton Hassell, Austin Peay (1999-2000); Ricky Minard, Morehead State (2002-03); T.J. Cline, Richmond (2016-17); Patrick Cole N.C. Central (2016-17).
- Nine of the 10 earned Associated Press All-American honors.
BOSTON COLLEGE AT CONTE FORUM
- Boston College is 317-177 all-time at the Silvio O. Conte Forum.
- In ACC play, the Eagles are 55-62 in league games at Conte Forum.
- BC is 10-6 at home this year – 6-3 in the non-conference and 4-3 in ACC play.
- It marks the 18th time since 1989-90 that BC won 10 or more games at Conte Forum in a single-season.
- Last season, the Eagles were 14-3 at home, marking the sixth time that they won at least 14 home games at Conte Forum.
ON THIS DATE: MARCH 5
- Boston College is 6-10 all-time and 1-2 in ACC play in games played on the March 5 calendar date.
- March 5 marks the dual celebration of National Absinthe and National Cheese Doodle Days.
- Several historic events occurred on March 5: 1770: Five British soldiers open fire on innocent civilians on King Street, killing Crispus Attucks in the “Boston Massacre;” 1864: first track meet held between Oxford and Cambridge; 1982: comedian John Belushi found dead of an overdose; 1994: the world’s largest milkshake (1,955 gallons) made in South Africa.
- Notable March 5 birthdays: NFL Hall of Famer Michael Irvin, actress Eva Mendes, singer Andy Gibb, and comedian Penn Gillette.
TODAY’S BOSTON COLLEGE NOTE(S) YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT
- Boston College has been tied and leading heading into the final media timeout of regulation in each of its last four games.
- Steffon Mitchell’s assist-turnover ratio of 2.95 would rank fourth in the ACC. He is just under the minimum of 3.0 assists/game.
- BC dished out a season-high 20 assists at Georgia Tech – the team’s first 20 assist game since Feb. 24, 2018, at Miami (20).
ESSE QUAM VIDERI (To Be, Rather Than to Seem)
- Ky Bowman – a Havelock, North Carolina native – enjoys playing games against teams from his home state.
- Bowman is averaging 18.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 14 games vs. Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest.
- Two of his seven career 30+ point performances have come versus Carolina (33, 1/21/17) and Duke (30, 12/9/17).
- He has scored 20 or more in six of the 14 games against a North Carolina-based opponent.
- In the six games played in the state of North Carolina, he is averaging 16.7 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 4.0 assists per outing.
- Bowman is averaging 27.0 points per game in two career outings vs. North Carolina.
- His scoring averages vs. other North Carolina-based opponents: N.C. State (20.0), Duke (20.0), and Wake (12.8).
NOT THROWING AWAY HIS SHOT
- Jared Hamilton is averaging 8.3 points per game over his last 10 outings, connecting on close to 45% from the floor.
- At N.C. State on Feb. 20, Hamilton scored 16 points (7-14 FG) connecting on 7-of-10 shots inside the arc.
- Hamilton scored six of his eight points during a key second-half run against Pitt.
- At home vs. Notre Dame, he earned his second start of the season and scored a season-high 17 points to go with three assists.
- Hamilton added 12 points off the bench against Syracuse, while also notching two steals in 29 minutes.
- During the 10-game span, he is averaging close to 2.0 offensive rebounds per game.
- A transfer (Georgia Southern), he arrived at BC during the 2018 spring semester and became eligible at DePaul on Dec. 22.
THERE’S A MILLION THINGS I HAVEN’T DONE, BUT JUST YOU WAIT
- Jairus Hamilton has been shooting the ball with confidence over his last six outings.
- The freshman is averaging 8.6 ppg over his last six, shooting better than 49% from the floor and close to 40% from 3-point land.
- The younger Hamilton reached double-digits in three of the last six contests, including a season-high 17 at Clemson.
- At N.C. State, he scored 11 points (4-8 FG), including the game-tying FG that forced overtime with under a minute to play.
ACC EXCLUSIVE & EAGLES AMONG THE LEAGUE LEADERS
- Ky Bowman is the only player in the ACC to rank among the top 10 in scoring, rebounding, and assists.
- He is also one of three players in the ACC to rank among the top 10 in scoring and rebounding – Zion Williamson (Duke), Jordan Nwora (Louisville).
- Nik Popovic is one of eight ACC players to rank among the top 20 in the league in scoring and rebounding, and among the top 10 in FG percentage. The others: Williamson, John Mooney (Notre Dame), Cameron Johnson (UNC), Kerry Blackshear Jr. (Virginia Tech), and RJ Barrett (Duke).
BOSTON COLLEGE EXCLUSIVE – KY BOWMAN
- Ky Bowman is one of two players in BC history to accumulate 1,600 points, 600 rebounds, 350 assists, 125 steals, and 30 blocks.
- The other is Jared Dudley, who from 2003-07, tallied 2,071 points, 936 boards, 395 assists, 176 steals, and 37 blocks.
- Both players reached those career totals as juniors. Dudley was at 1500/688/305/134/27 at the conclusion of his third year.
- Bowman is one of only eight players in ACC history to reach his career totals in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.
- Danny Ferry (Duke), Bob Sura (Florida State), Gene Banks (Duke), Julius Hodge (NC State), Grant Hill (Duke), Walter Davis (UNC), and Mike O’Koren (UNC) are the others.
BOSTON COLLEGE EXCLUSIVE – SCORING
- Boston College is the only team in the country with four players averaging 13.7 points per game or better.
- The Eagles’ scoring leaders are Ky Bowman (19.2 ppg), Nik Popovic (14.2), Wynston Tabbs (13.9), and Jordan Chatman(13.5).
BOSTON COLLEGE EXCLUSIVE – REBOUNDING
- Boston College is one of two teams in the country with three players averaging 7.3 rebounds per game or better.
- The Eagles’ rebounding leaders are Steffon Mitchell (7.7), Ky Bowman (7.6 rpg), and Nik Popovic (7.3).
- Texas Southern is the other school.
STEFFON MITCHELL STILL STUFFING STAT SHEETS AS A SOPHOMORE
- Steffon Mitchell has led Boston College in at least one statistical category in 21 of the 24 games in which he has appeared.
- Last time out at Georgia Tech, Mitchell registered team highs with 10 rebounds and seven assists.
- Mitchell has led BC in assists seven times this year, including a career-best seven twice.
- On Jan. 20 vs. Florida State, Mitchell led the team in assists (4), blocks (3), and steals (2), while also grabbing eight boards.
- The sophomore has led the team in rebounding 11 times, including a season-high 14 boards vs. Milwaukee on Nov. 6.
- He has led BC in blocked shots 13 times so far in 2018-19 – including a career-high five swats against Pittsburgh on Feb. 12.
- He has led the Eagles in steals on seven occasions, including a career-best five swipes vs. Providence on Dec. 4.
- Last year, Mitchell led BC in at least one stat category – scoring, rebounding, assists, blocks, or steals – in 31 of 34 games
- Mitchell has four double-doubles so far in 2018-19 and six for his career.
WITH OR WITHOUT YOU – TABBS AND BOWMAN
- When Wynston Tabbs is in the Boston College lineup, the Eagles are 10-5 overall – and 1-1 in ACC play.
- Over the 13 full games he has missed, BC is 4-9 – all in ACC play.
- In the 15 games with Tabbs is in the lineup, Ky Bowman is averaging 21.8 points per game, connecting on 46.2% of his field goals and close to 41.0% from beyond the arc.
- In the 13 games that Tabbs has missed, Bowman is scoring 5.6 points per game less – 16.2 ppg – while shooting 10.6 percent lower from the floor (35.6) and 6.8 percent lower from 3-point land (34.1%).