Jairus Hamilton tallies season-high 17 points in the loss
CLEMSON, S.C. — Clemson used a 16-6 run over the last four minutes of the game to earn a 76-66 victory over Boston College at Littlejohn Coliseum.
Tied at 60-60 with 4:00 left in regulation, the Tigers scored 10 unanswered points over the next 2:17. The Eagles would get as close as six – 72-66 – with 30 seconds to play.
BC used a 10-0 run to start the second half, thanks to two Ky Bowman 3-pointers and two Nik Popovic field goals. The Eagles would lead by six – 39-33 – with 17:37 to play. Clemson made a run midway through the second half, using an 11-2 push to go from down one to up eight – 60-52 – with 7:14 to play.
The Hamilton brothers combined to score the next eight points, courtesy of two 3-pointers from Jairus and two free throws from Jared, knotting the game at 60-60 before the Tigers’ final offensive push.
BC started the game scoring on four of its first six possessions, taking a 10-9 lead as Jairus Hamilton and Nik Popovic contributed four points apiece. Clemson also started hot from the floor, making 6-of-8 to start the game.
The Tigers used a 10-2 push to take its largest lead of the half – eight points – at 26-18 with 5:22 remaining. Ky Bowman connected on his first basket of the game – a 3-pointer from the left wing – to end the run.
Steffon Mitchell drained a jumper from the right elbow at the buzzer at the end of the first half, as Clemson took a 33-29 edge at the break.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Jairus Hamilton led the way, scoring a season-high 17 points on the afternoon. The freshman was 6-of-15 from the floor, connecting on 2-of-8 from the outside and 3-of-4 from the foul line. He also had six rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- Ky Bowman added 17 points. He was 6-of-20 from the field but made 4-of-9 from the perimeter. He added five rebounds and two assists in 40 minutes.
- Nik Popovic scored 12 points (6-9 FG) to go with four rebounds and three assists. He fouled out in 18 minutes of play.
- Steffon Mitchell had seven points, four boards, and a blocked shot.
- Johncarlos Reyes came off the bench to add six points and three rebounds.
- BC shot 41.0% (25-61) from the floor while yielding close to 52% to Clemson (27-52).
STAT OF THE GAME:
20: Clemson scored 20 points off 13 BC turnovers.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
Jairus Hamilton registered an efficiency rating of 15, while Nik Popovic was at 13 for the game. Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO).
Boston College hosts Louisville on Wednesday night – Feb. 27 – at 9 p.m. at Conte Forum. The game will be distributed via RSN, including NESN locally. Wes Durham and Cory Alexander have the broadcast call. Both games can also be heard live on the Boston College IMG Sports Network on WEEI 850 AM with Josh Maurer and Danya Abrams.