FORT MYERS, Fla. — Ky Bowman scored a career-high 38 points as Boston College held on for an 88-76 win over Wyoming in the semifinals of the Fort Myers Tipoff. The Eagles advance to Wednesday night’s title game against Loyola Chicago.
There were nine lead changes and five ties through the first 8:40 of the first half. Tied at 20-20 at the 11:20 mark, the Eagles scored 13 unanswered points over the next 3:13, taking a 33-20 lead. Bowman scored 11 of the 13 points during the run. BC would not trail the rest of the way.
Wyoming would trim the lead to eight – 33-25 with 6:44 to play in the half – before a 13-3 run – capped by two Steffon Mitchell free throws – extended BC’s lead to 18 points.
In the second half, a Johncarlos Reyes dunk with 17:27 to play gave Boston College its largest lead of the night – 22 points – at 54-32.
The Cowboys rallied to get within three, outscoring BC 33-14 to get it to 68-65 with 5:40 to play. But the Eagles made some big shots down the stretch, as Vin Baker Jr. connected on a 3-pointer with 2:56 to play, extending the lead to nine – at 77-68. Two possessions later, Chris Herren Jr. added a three-ball in the deep corner, making it a 10-point game at 82-72 with 1:37 left.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Ky Bowman – the Nation’s Most Dynamic Guard – led all scorers with a career-high 38 points. Bowman was 14-of-22 from the floor, making 7-of-12 from beyond the arc and 3-of-3 from the charity stripe. He added seven rebounds, three assists, and three steals in 40 minutes of play.
- Johncarlos Reyes earned his first start of the season – and first since Feb. 28 at home vs. Syracuse – and added a career-best 15 points. The junior forward was 6-of-7 from the floor and made 3-of-4 from the foul line in 19 minutes.
- Steffon Mitchell tallied his first double-double of the season – and fifth of his career – with 11 points and 11 rebounds. The sophomore stat sheet stuffer added four assists and three steals.
- Jordan Chatman dished out a career-high tying five assists after a rare off-night shooting. He added seven points and a blocked shot.
- Avery Wilson earned his first collegiate start, totaling two points, two assists and a steal in 13 minutes.
- The Eagles got solid contributions from its young bench corps on the night. Vin Baker Jr. and Chris Herren Jr. each added five points and an assist off the bench. Baker Jr. also had three rebounds. Jairus Hamilton had three points and five boards, while Wynston Tabbs had two points and three assists.
- BC connected on 47.8% (32-67) from the floor for the game and outrebounded the Cowboys, 41-31. The Eagles connected on 10-of-26 from beyond the arc and 14-of-25 from the foul line.
- The Eagles dished out 19 assists on 32 field goals and committed just eight turnovers.
STAT OF THE GAME:
20 – Boston College scored 20 points off 13 Wyoming turnovers.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
Ky Bowman’s efficiency rating of 28 was his highest of the season. Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
Boston College takes on Loyola Chicago in the title game of the Fort Myers Tipoff on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. at the Suncoast Credit Union Arena. The game will be televised live on FS1. The game can also be heard on the BC IMG Sports Network, with Josh Maurer and Kevin Collins.