CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The Boston College baseball team lost its series opener to Miami, 3-0, at Mark Light Field on Friday night.
Eagles’ junior right-hander Jacob Stevens (3-7) Hurricanes’ lefty Jeb Bargfeldt (4-4) went head-to-head on the mound with the home team gaining a slight edge early. Miami got a run in the first and doubled its lead in the third on a solo home run to left by second baseman Willy Escala.
Score: Miami 3, Boston College 0
Records: Boston College (17-31, 7-21 ACC), Miami (26-25, 15-13 ACC)
Location: Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field – Coral Gables, Fla.
- After being robbed on two line-drive, groundball outs, Jake Palomaki picked up a sixth-inning single for his 61st hit of the night. It marked the 200th of his career and his 374th time reaching base as an Eagle.
- Stevens struck out nine; his most in ACC play this season, which matched his season-high established against Niagara (3/2).
- A leadoff single in the bottom of the first by Freddy Zamora came in to score a batter later on a hit-and-run double to right by Tony Jenkins for Miami.
- The Hurricanes added to their lead in the third with a solo home run by Escala. Stevens damage controlled the inning by striking out two and catching a pop-up in front of home plate to leave the bases loaded.
- Bargfeldt went back to the hill in the ninth and retired the leadoff man Palomaki, but it was on a sliding catch at the track in right by defensive substitute Hunter Tackett. Palomaki was just 1-for-4 on the night as all three outs were terrific plays by Miami fielders.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Stevens threw a season-high 118 pitches in seven innings of work; his sixth start of six innings or more this season.
- Chris Galland was hit by a pitch in the ninth to extend his BC season-best reached base streak to 22 games.
Game two of the series is set for Friday at 7 p.m. Junior lefty Dan Metzdorf gets the start for the Eagles. The game can be streamed on the ACC Digital Network.
- ACCFebruary 10, 2024Boston College Names Bill O’Brien Head Football Coach
- ACCJanuary 28, 2024Another Season Sweep of the Irish as BC wins 61-58
- ACCJanuary 25, 2024Complete 2024 BC Football Schedule Released
- ACCJanuary 14, 2024Boston College: Shorthanded Eagles Battle Clemson on Saturday