Junior left-handed starter Dan Metzdorf allowed two runs in the first before shutting the Deacons down for the rest of his outing. Over his seven-inning start, the southpaw allowed six hits, two runs, one walk and struck out nine. In his last four starts – 27.2 innings – he has struck out 39 batters.
Freshman Chris Galland led the Eagles at the plate with a 2-for-4 night and his ACC-leading 24th stolen base. In the doubleheader, the left fielder logged three hits and two swipes and extended his hit streak to a career-long eight games.
Score: Wake Forest 2, Boston College 0
Records: Wake Forest (16-20, 9-8 ACC) at Boston College (12-21, 5-12 ACC)
Location: Harrington Athletics Village at the Brighton Fields in Brighton, Mass.
Series: Wake clinches the series, 2-0
- Junior LHP Dan Metzdorf struck out nine in his seven-inning start. He allowed six hits, two runs and walked just one. In his last four starts – 27.2 innings – he has recorded 39 Ks.
- Freshman Chris Galland extended his hit streak to a career-long eight games with a single in his first at-bat. He was 2-for-4 on the night with his ACC-leading 24th stolen base and is a perfect 24-for-24 on the season, third in BC record books. Galland also recorded his second outfield assist.
- Senior Jake Palomaki tallied one hit and his 14th stolen base on the season. He has reached base in 30 of the 33 games this season with a hit in 25 of them.
- Junior RHP Thomas Lane pitched in both games of the of the doubleheader, throwing the eighth in game two. On the day, the righty threw two scoreless and hitless innings of relief, allowing one walk and striking out one.
- Junior LHP Zach Stromberg also threw an inning in both games of the doubleheader. In his two innings of work on the day, he allowed one hit, without a walk or run and struck out four.
- The Demon Deacons scored two in their first at-bat and those runs ended up being the only runs of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wake notched its two runs in the first as Patrick Frick led off the game with single and Jake Mueller followed with a walk to put two on. Metzdorf got a strikeout before allowing a single to Bobby Seymour. With two down, Shane Muntz singled to left to plate two. Galland gunned down Seymour trying to reach third and Metzdorf ended the inning with a grounder to second.
- The Eagles put two on in the second as junior Gian Martellini was hit by a pitch and Galland logged a one-out single to put runners on the corners. After Galland stole second, McSweeney got a foul fly out and a strikeout to end the BC threat.
- In the ninth, senior Anthony Maselli was hit by a pitch and Galland singled to put two on with one out. Sophomore Brian Dempsey moved the runners into scoring position with a grounder to first. Redshirt junior Scott Braren came in to pinch hit and battled before striking out to end the game.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Wake leads the series 21-17 and has won the last three games. The Deacs have earned series victories eight times.
- The Eagles were shut out for the fourth time and the second time by Wake.
- With a walk in both games, junior Jake Alu has reached base in the last 10 games.
- Sophomore Brian Dempsey logged a hit in the seventh inning. He has reached base in 29 of the Eagles’ 32 games and has a hit in 24 of them.
The Eagles wrap up the series with the Demon Deacons on Saturday, April 14 at 3 p.m. The game will be streamed on the ACC Network Extra. Before the start of the game, Boston College will officially name the Harrington Athletics Village with festivities beginning at 1 p.m.