BC BASEBALL: Stevens, Casey One-Hit Duke En Route to Victory
Bigras plates the go-ahead run in the fourth
Score: Boston College 3, Duke 1
Records: Boston College (11-20, 2-14 ACC) at Duke (18-18, 6-10 ACC)
Location: Jack Coombs Field in Durham, N.C.
Series: BC leads the series, 1-0
- Sophomore RHP Jacob Stevens allowed just one hit through seven innings, tying a career high for innings pitched. He walked three, struck out three and gave up one run. He retired eight straight from the fourth to the seventh inning.
- Junior RHP Donovan Casey retired all six batters he faced in the eighth and ninth to pick up his third save of the season. He was 1-for-4 at the plate and scored a run.
- Stevens and Casey combined to allow just one hit in the game.
- Sophomore Gian Martellini went 1-for-4 in the game. He has at least one hit in nine of the last 10 games and he has reached base in all 10, the longest current on-base streak for the Eagles.
- In his first full game back since sustaining an injury on March 18, junior Jake Palomaki led the way at the plate with a 2-for-4 night and scored a run.
- After Duke plated the first run of the game in the third, the Eagles responded with two in the fourth to take the lead. Junior Mitch Bigras plated the go-ahead run on a two-out double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Devils struck first, tallying a run in the third. Max Miller doubled down the left-field line – the only Duke hit of the game – moved to third on a sac bunt and scored on a sacrifice fly by Chris Proctor. Stevens got a lineout to left to end the inning.
- The Eagles took the lead the following inning. Casey led off with a base hit to left center and Palomaki followed by lacing one down the third-base line. Third baseman Jack Labosky made the diving stop but he overthrew first, allowing both runners to move into scoring position. Senior Michael Strem chopped one to third to plate Casey for the tying run. With two down, Bigras doubled to left center to drive in Palomaki for the 2-1 lead.
- BC added one in the fifth as senior Johnny Adams led off with a single through the left side and moved into scoring position on a wild pitch. Freshman Jacob Yish flew out to deep left center, allowing Adams to tag up to third. He scored when Duke shortstop Zack Kone did not make the catch on the relay throw.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The last time the BC pitching staff threw a one-hitter was on April 17, 2015 in a 1-0 victory. Mike King threw a complete-game shutout.
- Martellini has a hit in 24 of the 30 games he has played.
- BC has won the last four meetings against Duke and improves to 17-11 in the all-time series.
The Eagles and Blue Devils return to the diamond for a 1 p.m. game on Saturday. It will be on the ACC Network Extra.