BC BASEBALL: UNC Takes Series with A Game-Two Victory
Yish logs first career RBIs, Soucy first career hit
Score: No. 4 North Carolina 16, Boston College 4
Records: North Carolina (24-6, 10-3 ACC) at Boston College (9-18, 1-12 ACC)
Location: Eddie Pellagrini Diamond at Commander Shea Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass.
Series: UNC clinches the series, 2-0
- Sophomore Jake Alu extended his career-long hit streak to eight games with a single up the middle in the seventh. He also scored two runs.
- Sophomore Gian Martellini extended his hit streak to a career-long seven games with a double in the eighth.
- Freshman Jacob Yish recorded his first career RBIs, plating the Eagles’ first two runs.
- Freshman Aaron Soucy tallied his first career hit on a double in the sixth inning.
- UNC scored runs in the first five innings to take a 11-0 lead.
- Carolina starter RHP Luca Dalatri kept the Eagles at bay offensively, allowing just one run through his six-inning start.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Carolina took a 2-0 lead in the first off BC sophomore starter Dan Metzdorf. With two and one out, Kyle Datres singled to plate the first run of the game. Metzdorf got a fly ball for the second out but gave up an RBI single to Brandon Riley to give the Heels a two-run lead.
- They added one in the second as Adam Pate reached on an error, moved up a sac bunt and scored on a single by Brian Miller.
- Zack Gahagan hit a two-run homer in the third to give Carolina a 5-0 lead.
- Sophomore RHP John Witkowski allowed five in the fourth as the Heels took a 10-0 lead. With two on from back-to-back hits, Datres hit a home run over the left-field fence. A base hit and walk put two on and Cody Roberts singled up the middle to score another run. A walk loaded the bases and the Eagles turned a 643 double play for the first two outs of the inning. A run came home on the grounder. Witkowski ended the inning with a chopper to first.
- Back-to-back base hits and a walk loaded the bases in the fifth and another double play plated a run. A fly ball ended the UNC half of the inning.
- The Eagles scored in the sixth after freshman RHP Jack Cunningham threw a 123 inning and kept the Heels off the board for the first time in the game. Soucy led off with a double off the wall in left center and moved to third on a groundout. Yish plated him with a single through the right side. The Eagles loaded the bases with two outs by drawing walks but junior Mitch Bigras laced a ground ball right at the second baseman to end the inning.
- Yish drove in another run in the seventh off UNC’s RHP Bo Weiss. Alu led off with base hit up the middle and the Eagles loaded the bases with one out as Soucy was hit by a pitch and freshman Brian Dempsey knocked a base hit to center. Yish hit a sac fly to right to drive in Alu. Another hit by pitch loaded the bases but new pitcher LHP Zach Attianese got senior Michael Strem to fly out to end the inning.
- The Heels scored three runs off Cunningham in the eighth to take a 14-2 lead. A lead-off single put a runner on and Michael Busch drove him in with a double to right. Cunningham got a strikeout before Brandon Martorano hit a high popup that got lost in the sun to put two on. With two down, Logan Warmoth doubled to left. The throw into second skipped away, allowing a second run in. Centerfielder Strem made a diving catch to end the inning.
- The Eagles scored two in the eighth after loading the bases with one out. Martellini led off with a double to deep left center. Freshman Dante Baldelli came in to pinch run and moved to third on a groundout. Alu drew a walk and senior Johnny Adams was hit by a pitch to load the bases. After a strikeout, Dempsey laced on to third. Datres went to second and Adams was called safe at the bag, but he got caught in a rundown between second and third. Baldelli and Alu managed to cross the plate before Adams was tagged out.
- UNC scored two off sophomore RHP Sean Hughes in the ninth. He loaded the bases on a single, walk and hit by pitch and walked in a run. Pate hit a sac fly to deep center to score the second run before Hughes got a fly out and junior Anthony Maselli made a diving stop at third to end the inning.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Freshman RHP Jack Cunningham threw 3.1 innings against the Heels before allowing a run. He pitched 1.1 scoreless innings of relief on Saturday and two today before allowing three runs – two earned – in the eighth.
- The 20 hits allowed were the second most given up by the BC pitching staff on the season. The Eagles allowed 22 at Virginia Tech on March 31.