BC BASEBALL Falls to Ball State in First Game of Doubleheader
Strem records only BC RBI
Score: Ball State 4, Boston College 1
Records: Boston College (4-6) vs. Ball State (8-4)
Location: North Charlotte Regional Park in North Charlotte, Fla.
- Junior Jake Palomaki and senior Michael Strem were the only BC players to log hits for BC. Strem recorded the lone RBI for the Eagles.
- Palomaki drew the 97th walk of his career to tie for fourth in BC record books. He also stole his 39thcareer base, good for seventh all-time.
- Sophomore catcher Gian Martellini caught his first career baserunner stealing, gunning him down in the third. He also picked off at second in the second.
- Ball State’s Alex Maloney hit a solo shot to break a 1-1 tie in the fourth off BC starter junior lefty Carmen Giampetruzzi. The Cardinals added three more runs off Giampetruzzi and righty relievers senior Luke Fernandes and sophomore Jake Alu
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cardinals were the first to score, plating a run in the second. Giampetruzzi issued a four-pitch, two-out walk and Seth Freed hit a double to left center to plate the first run of the game. Giampetruzzi ended the inning with a strikeout swinging.
- The Eagles tied the game in the third. Senior Johnny Adams stole second after reaching on a fielder’s choice to set up in scoring position. Strem plated him with a full-count base hit laced through the left side.
- Ball State retook the lead on Maloney’s lead-off homer to lead off the fourth.
- The Cardinals added a run in the sixth with Fernandes on the hill. Jeff Riedel led off the inning with a double to center and moved to third on a hard-hit ball to short. Sean Kennedy plated him with a sac fly to right.
- Ball State made it a 4-1 game in the seventh with Alu throwing. Pinch hitter Joe Gunn drew a walk to start the inning and moved into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt. After Alu tabbed a K for the second out, he hit a batter to put two on with two down. The Eagles thought they got out of the inning as Alu picked off Gunn at second, but he was safe on a dropped ball and Maloney hit the next pitch to left center to drive him in. Alu got a liner to end the inning.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Giampetruzzi struck out three in his first career start. He went 3.2 innings, allowed five hits, two runs – both earned – and walked one.
- Maloney’s home run was the first long ball allowed by the BC pitching staff in 2017.
- Adams’ on-base streak ended at 10 games, which tied for the longest of the season by the Eagles with junior Scott Braren.
- Junior Donovan Casey‘s eight-game hit came to an end in the loss.
- BC dropped the first-ever meeting with Ball State.
- The Eagles move to 13-6 in the Snowbird Classic in the team’s fourth year playing in the Florida tournament.
- ACCSeptember 24, 2023Boston College Drops ACC Road Opener at Louisville
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10
- ACCAugust 13, 2023Eagles Close Out European Tour with 106-70 Win in Barcelona