CLEMSON, S.C. – The Boston College baseball team lost to Clemson, 6-2, at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Friday afternoon. All six of the Tigers’ (34-21, 12-16 ACC) runs came with two outs as they hit 5-for-12 with two away.
The Eagles (19-33, 5-24) took the lead in the first on the 16th home run of the season by sophomore right fielder Cameron Leary (Bethpage, N.Y.). Clemson responded with a run in the first to tie and a run in the second to go in front.
First baseman Bryar Hawkins homered for the Tigers in the fourth to make it a two-run deficit. BC junior second baseman Luke Gold (Ballston, N.Y.) cut the CU lead in half on a home run to right; his ninth of the year. CU third baseman Max Wagner hit his 26th home run of the year; a three-run shot in the seventh.
Graduate right-hander Henry Leake (Burbank, Calif.) outlasted Clemson lefty Geoffrey Gilbert with a six-inning start. Gilbert (5-2) went 5.2 innings with two runs against four hits and a walk and five strikeouts. Righty reliever Austin Gordon came on and tossed 3.1-perfect innings of relief to get his second save of the year.
Leake (2-3) allowed single tallies in three innings as the Tigers go three runs off him on four scattered hits and two walks with five strikeouts.
Scores: Clemson 6, Boston College 2
Records: Clemson 34-21, 12-16 ACC; Boston College 19-33, 5-24 ACC
Stadium: Doug Kingsmore Stadium
· Leary hit a solo home run in the first to give BC a 1-0 lead.
· Gold hit a solo home run in the sixth to cut the deficit to a run at 3-2.
· BC is 12-13 when scoring first and 11-10 when scoring in the first inning.
· Gold hit his ninth home run of the season and 19th of his career.
· Leake made his third start of six innings or more.
· Leary hit his team-leading 16th home run of the season; the fifth most in a season at BC.
· Walsh hit his eighth double of the season.
· Walsh collected his 10th multi-hit game of the season.
The season finale for BC on Saturday has been moved up to an 11 a.m. first pitch due to the potential for inclement weather. The game will be broadcast on ACCNX.