Read Time:8 Minute, 4 Second
BOSTON COLLEGE VS. DUKE – ALL-TIME SERIES
- This is the 28th meeting between the Eagles and Blue Devils. Duke holds a commanding 24-3 lead in the all-time series.
- In ACC regular-season play, Duke is 18-2 vs. the Eagles. Duke has won the last six and 16 of the last 17 meetings.
- Last year, #21/24 Duke escaped, 83-82, at Cameron on Jan. 6, 2021. The Blue Devils earned an 86-51 win over BC in the ACC Tourney.
- BC’s last win over Duke: an 89-84 home victory on Dec. 9, 2017. Two of the Eagles’ three wins over Duke have come at Conte Forum.
BOSTON COLLEGE AGAINST RANKED OPPONENTS
- Boston College is 67-254 overall against ranked opponents.
- BC is 20-129 all-time against teams ranked in the top 10.
- BC was 0-4 vs. teams ranked in the top 25 in 2020-21.
- The Eagles are 2-10 in their last 12 games against ranked teams.
- The last win over a ranked opponent came on Jan. 7, 2020 – a 60-53 victory over #18/18 Virginia at Conte Forum.
- The last two – and three of the last four – wins over top-five opponents were against the #1 team in the country.
TODAY’S BOSTON COLLEGE NOTE(S) YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT
- Duke has been ranked in 26 of the previous 28 meetings against Boston College.
- Since 1996, 10 BC players matched Jaeden Zackery’s stat line vs. Syracuse – 18 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals
- They are: Ryan Sidney (three times), Ky Bowman (twice), Troy Bell (twice), Tyrese Rice, and Troy Bell.
- However, Zackery is the ONLY Boston College player to register that stat line without committing a turnover.
ON THIS DATE: FEBRUARY 12
- Boston College is 13-12 all-time – and 3-4 in ACC play – in games played on the February 12 calendar date.
- February 12 marks the celebration of National Plum Pudding Day.
- Several notable events in history occurred on February 12 – 1851 – Gold discovered in New South Wales, beginning Australia’s first gold rush; 1877 – The first news dispatch by telephone took place, between Boston and Salem; 1878 – Frederick Thayer patents the catchers mask; 1909 – The NAACP forms; 1924 – Gershwin debuts his “Rhapsody in Blue;” 1964 – The Beatles play their first two shows in NYC at Carnegie Hall.
- Notable February 12 birthdays: NBA great Bill Russell; U.S. President Abraham Lincoln; naturalist Charles Darwin; former First Lady Louisa Catherina Adams; comedian Arsenio Hall; actress Joanna Kerns; author Judy Blume; rapper Gucci Mane.
- Over the last three games, DeMarr Langford Jr. is averaging 14.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.0 assists.
- He’s shooting nearly 55% (17-31) from the floor over the three games while committing four turnovers in 102 minutes.
- Langford Jr. connected on 3-of-7 from the perimeter and has made all five free-throw attempts over the three-game span
- Last time out, Langford Jr. had 14 points and six rebounds at home against Syracuse.
- The sophomore had his second-best scoring night of the season against Pitt, pouring in 17 points.
- Langford Jr. added 11 points and five boards at Virginia.
- The Worcester wing ranks second on BC in scoring (10.6), fourth in rebounding (4.5), and third in assists (2.2).
TIME TO START TALKING MAKAI FOR ACC MOST IMPROVED
- Makai Ashton-Langford is a strong candidate for the ACC’s most improved player, showing marked statistical improvement, year over year.
- Ashton-Langford is scoring 4.0 more points/game, leading BC at 12.5 ppg.
- His rebounding per game figures are also improved by 0.4 per game.
- Ashton-Langford has posted three 20+ performances in his last 10 games.
- In his previous 90 games, he had scored 20 or more points only one time.
- Ashton-Langford has scored in double digits in 16 of 21 games for BC in 2021-22.
- From 2017-20, he scored in double figures 14 times in a 78-game span.
- He has led the team in scoring six times in 2021-22; he did so just twice from 2017-20.
- In ACC games, Ashton-Langford is averaging nearly +4.0 ppg year over year – 13.6 in 2021-22 vs. 10.0 in 2020-21.
- His points/rebounding averages are also improved year over year in ACC play: 13.6/3.7 in 2021-22 vs. 10.0/3.3 in 2020-21.
BOARD MAN BICKERSTAFF
- T.J. Bickerstaff registered his second 17-rebound game of the season at North Carolina.
- Bickerstaff is one of 15 players nationally – two in the ACC (Bacot – UNC) to have multiple games with 17 rebounds or more.
- Fourteen of Bickerstaff’s 17 rebounds came on the defensive glass versus the Tar Heels.
- The last BC player to grab at least 14 defensive boards in a game – Ky Bowman (16) – against Notre Dame on Jan. 12, 2019.
- The 17 rebounds tied for the fifth-most rebounds in a game in Boston College history.
- Danya Abrams holds the BC rebounding record, grabbing 20 boards at home vs. Providence on Jan. 22, 1994.
- Bickerstaff also corraled 17 boards at home vs. Columbia – the fourth-most in a single-game in Conte Forum history.
- The last BC player to have at least two games with 17+ rebounds – Ryan Anderson – during the 2012-13 season.
- Bickerstaff has registered four games with at least 15 rebounds this season – tied for most in the ACC this season (Bacot).
- The last BC player to have at least four games with 15+ rebounds – Craig Smith – during the 2005-06 season.
- The Atlanta product has six double-digit rebounding games so far in 2021-22.
- The last BC player to have at least six games with double-digit rebounds – Steffon Mitchell – during the 2019-20 season.
- Bickerstaff has two double-doubles on the season, most recently at Louisville, finishing with 12 points and 15 rebounds.
- He registered his first collegiate double-double – 22 points/15 rebounds – and three steals and two blocks at Rhode Island.
- He leads BC and ranks sixth in the ACC in overall rebounding (8.0), including ranking third in OReb (2.8).
ZACKERY MAKING AN IMPACT
- Jaeden Zackery ranks third on BC in scoring (9.4), second in assists (2.5), and first in steals (1.4) so far this season.
- Among all ACC first-year players, Zackery ranks seventh in scoring, fourth in assists, and third in steals.
- He has reached double-digits 10 times and has led the Eagles in scoring on five occasions.
- Against Syracuse, he scored a team-high 18 points while logging season-bests in rebounds (6), assists (6), and steals (3).
- The Salem, Wisc. product has registered an effective FG% of 51.8% and a true shooting percentage of 54.2% in 22 games.
- Zackery is connecting on 43.1% of his 3-point attempts on the season, knocking down 28-of-65.
- He is one of 13 freshmen nationally to shoot 43% or better from 3FG (28 3FGM min).
- He was named to the Sunshine Slam All-Tourney team, after scoring a season-high 19 points against Rhode Island.
- The 6-2 guard added 15 points (3-4 3FG) vs. Utah the night before in the semifinal round of the Sunshine Slam tourney.
- Earlier this season, he became the first BC freshman to dish out at least six assists in consecutive games in nearly a decade.
- In 2012-13, Boston College’s Joe Rahon had six dimes against Providence (12/21/12) and Holy Cross (12/29/12).
- Zackery was a 2020-21 NJCAA Third Team All-American out of Chipola College in Florida.
POST PRESENCE OVER LAST FIVE
- Quinten Post is averaging 10.0 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 1.4 blocked shots per game over the last five.
- Against Syracuse, Post logged his second double-double of the year, with 14 points and a career-best 14 rebounds (7 OReb).
- He tallied his first collegiate double-double at home vs. Pitt, with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- During the five-game span, the 7-footer from Amsterdam is connecting on 50.0% (20-40) from the floor.
BACKCOURT BEST SERVED LATE
- Makai Ashton-Langford and Jaeden Zackery are scoring at a higher clip in the second half.
- Ashton-Langford is scoring 7.1 of his 12.5 points per game in the second half.
- Zackery is averaging 5.8 points during the second half – nearly 60% of his scoring. He is scoring 9.4 points per game.
- Sixteen of Zackery’s 28 3-pointers have come in the second half; eight of those 16 in the final 5:00 of regulation.
FREE THROW DISCREPANCIES OVER LAST FOUR
- In 12 ACC games, BC is being outscored at the FT line by nearly 4.0 points; opponents are taking +4.0 FT attempts per game.
- Over the last four conference games, BC is being outscored by nearly +10 points from the foul line.
- Opponents have been awarded 89 trips to the free-throw line over the last four games. Boston College has attempted 38.
- Boston College is making nearly 85% (32-38) of its FT attempts during the four-game span; opponents are at 79.8% (71-89).
KARNIK THE CATALYST
- When James Karnik scores in double figures, Boston College is 4-2. In ACC play, BC is 3-1 when Karnik scores at least 10.
- In the six games when he scores in double digits, Karnik is averaging 17.2 points per game, shooting 70.5% (43-61).
- Karnik is scoring at a 19.0 points per game clip and shooting 75% (33-44) in the four ACC games he scores 10+.