AUBURN, Ala. – No. 18 Boston College baseball went into Plainsman Park and hit four home runs in an 8-2 win over No. 25 Auburn on Friday night. The Eagles improved to 7-1, while the Tigers dropped to 6-3.
BC hit four home runs with junior center fielder Sal Frelick (Lexington, Mass.) and sophomore second baseman Luke Gold (Ballston, N.Y.) each going deep twice. Gold’s first of the night was a two-run shot in the second inning to start the scoring. Frelick hit the next two; solo homers in the third and fifth.
Junior right-hander Mason Pelio (San Diego, Calif.) turned in 5.2-scoreless innings to earn the win. He left the game with two out and two on in the sixth following an error. Pelio (2-1) allowed four hits, walked three, and struck out two.
Graduate lefty Joey Walsh (Plymouth, Mass.) took over for Pelio and went the rest of the way. He struck out the only batter faced to end the Auburn threat in the sixth. Walsh earned his third save 3.1 innings of relief and two runs allowed on three hits and a walk to go with four strikeouts.
Junior third baseman Cody Morissette (Exeter, N.H.) finished the game 3-for-5 with two doubles, a run, and a RBI. Graduate shortstop Brian Dempsey (Potomac, Md.) added a 2-for-5 game with two RBI and a double.
Score: No. 18 Boston College 8, No. 25 Auburn 2
Records: Boston College 7-1; Auburn 6-3
Location: Plainsman Park (Auburn, Ala.)
- Gold put the Eagles in front with a two-run home run in the second after a Cunningham leadoff-walk.
- Frelick added a solo home run down the right-field line in the third.
- Frelick’s second solo home run came in the third to make it 4-0. Morissette and Dempsey added back-to-back, two-out doubles in the frame to push the lead to 5-0.
- Gold’s second homer went down the left-field line in the sixth to make it 6-0.
- Auburn leads the all-time series 3-2 with all three wins by one run. The two teams last met in 2010.
- BC is 4-13 against teams in the SEC and last defeated Kentucky in 2019.
- The Eagles hit multiple home runs for the third time this season. BC matched its season-high with four; having previously done so at Charleston Southern (2/20) in the season opener.
- Frelick hit his second and third home runs of the season to push his career total to nine. He became the second Eagle to hit two in one game and first since Dante Baldelli in the opener.
- Gold hit his second and third home runs of the season to push his career total to four. He is the third Eagle to hit two home runs in a game.
- Gold posted his fourth multi-RBI game of the season and seventh of his career. He has 28 RBI in just 22 career games.
- Gold and Frelick became the first BC teammates to hit multiple home runs in a game since Mickey Wiswall (three home runs) and Andrew Lawrence (two) did so against Bryant (2009).
- Morissette notched his third multi-hit game of the season and 32nd of his career.
- Morissette collected his third career two-double game to push his career total to 28.
Game two is set for 3 p.m. ET on Saturday with junior right-hander Emmet Sheehan (Darien, Conn.) on the mound for Boston College.