NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Steffon Mitchell logged his second double-double of the season, finishing with 16 points and 13 rebounds, but it was not enough as Boston College dropped an 80-70 decision at Notre Dame on Saturday afternoon. Mitchell also added two assists and four blocked shots in close to 40 minutes of action for the Eagles.
The Eagles started slow offensively, connecting on just 21.4% from the floor through the first 10 minutes. BC trailed, 19-12, at the 10:18 mark, before making its next four shots. A Wynston Tabbs 3-pointer with 5:24 remaining in the opening frame made it a one-point game, at 25-24. But the Irish closed the half on a 15-8 push and led 42-32 at the break.
In the second half, Boston College had runs of eight and 10 straight points, both times cutting the deficit to six. Notre Dame responded with runs of 13-2 and 12-2, each time erasing the ground Boston College had originally gained.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- This was Steffon Mitchell’s second double-double of the season and the 15th of his career.
- It also marked the 36th time the senior forward logged 10 or more rebounds and the 11th time he has had at least 13 boards.
- CJ Felder also posted another complete stat line: 10 points, nine rebounds, two assists, and three blocked shots.
- Wynston Tabbs returned to the Eagles’ lineup after missing the previous two games, tallying 14 points and three assists.
- Jay Heath added 14 points and four rebounds.
- DeMarr Langford Jr. registered six points, six boards, three assists, and two steals.
- Rich Kelly had five points, two assists, and two steals.
- The Eagles connected on 43.3% (26-60) of their field goal attempts, including 9-of-29 from beyond the arc (31.0%).
- For the second straight game, BC’s turnover total was in single-digits (9).
STAT OF THE GAME:
- +10 – After being outscored, 18-10, in the paint in the first half, Boston College held a 22-12 scoring advantage inside in the second half.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
- Steffon Mitchell posted a season-high efficiency mark, with a 31.
- CJ Felder posted his second consecutive EFF mark of at least 20.
- Jay Heath, DeMarr Langford Jr., and Wynston Tabbs each had a 10.
- Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
- Boston College heads to #20/20 Virginia Tech on Wednesday. Tipoff in Blacksburg is set for 5 p.m. and the game will air live on ACC Network.
- The game can also be heard on the Boston College Learfield IMG College Sports Network with Josh Maurer and Danya Abrams on WEEI 850 AM.
- ACC2021.03.04Boston College Eagles Fall at Florida State. Heath pours in career-high 28.
- ACC2021.03.04BC Takes Down URI in Home Opener as Eagles post 6-4 victory
- ACC2021.03.04Boston College Baseball Shifts Out of Conference to Face Auburn
- ACC2021.03.03Eagles Travel to Tallahassee to Face #11/11 Seminoles on Wednesday