BOSTON – A wild weekend of conference play resulted in a pair of sweeps and as many splits as week #2 of #AEHoops play took place. Stony Brook improved to 4-0 in league play with a sweep of UMass Lowell while New Hampshire took both games from Hartford and is off to its best #AEHoops start since the 1993-94 season. UMBC and Binghamton split its series as did Vermont and NJIT with the Highlanders winning game two in thrilling fashion on San Antonio Brinson’s putback as time expired. Full Schedule/Results
For the first time this season, five series are scheduled for this upcoming week with Hartford hosting Binghamton, Maine playing host to UNH, UMass Lowell welcoming NJII, and Vermont hosting UAlbany. Any schedule changes will be announced on Twitter @AEHoopsNews.
Here are the week #5 men’s basketball awards for the 2020-21 season:
Player of the Week
Jayden Martinez, New Hampshire – Jr., Forward, Cibolo, Texas
- Averaged 16.0 points and 10.5 rebounds in a 2-0 week for New Hampshire.
- Shot 67 percent from the field (12-of-18).
- Had a double-double of 19 points and 13 rebounds in Sunday’s two-point win over Hartford. Eleven of his points and seven of his rebounds came in the second half.
- Hit a key three-pointer with two minutes left to give the Wildcats a 51-50 lead.
- This is Martinez’s first career #AEHoops Player of the Week honor.
Rookie of the Week
Nick Johnson, New Hampshire – R-Fr., Guard, Bronx, N.Y.
- Was a key contributor to UNH’s sweep of Hartford averaging 28 minutes off the bench.
- Did a little bit of everything averaging 5.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 1.5 steals in the two games.
- This is Johnson’s first career #AEHoops Rookie of the Week honor.
Weekly Award Winners
Nov. 30 – Player of the Week: Obadiah Noel, UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Blondeau Tchoukuiengo, New Hampshire
Dec. 7 – Player of the Week: Austin Williams, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Thomas Webley, Hartford
Dec. 14 – Player of the Week: Daniel Akin, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Not awarded
Dec. 22 – Player of the Week: Brandon Horvath, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Not awarded
Dec. 28 – Player of the Week: Jayden Martinez, New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Nick Johnson, New Hampshire
About America East: The America East provides its member schools and their athletic programs a platform upon which student-athletes can achieve both collegiate and life success through the promotion and nurturing of athletic excellence, academic achievement, and leadership, on and off the field.
– #3Pillars – Building the Complete Student-Athlete –
- America East Conference2021.01.12UMBC, Vermont Earn Men’s #AEHoops Sweeps. Hartford and Lowell Split.
- America East Conference2021.01.05Hartford Posts Lone Sweep, Three Series Splits Highlight #AEHoops Action
- America East Conference2020.12.30Stony Brook & UNH Sweep, NJIT Stuns in Men’s #AEHoops Action
- America East Conference2020.12.23Hartford, UMBC, Stony Brook Men Off to 2-0 #AEHoops Starts