BOSTON – Full-scale conference play got underway this week in America East and saw three men’s teams earn series sweeps as Hartford, UMBC, and Stony Brook all got off to 2-0 starts while UMass Lowell and Vermont split their set.
The Retrievers extended their win streak to six and improved to 6-1 with their sweep of UAlbany while Hartford has won five in a row, its longest win streak since the 2014-15 season, after taking both contests from Maine. Full Schedule/Results
Four more back-to-back sets are scheduled for Sunday and Monday this week with UMBC hosting Binghamton, New Hampshire welcoming Hartford, UMass Lowell visiting Stony Brook and Vermont hosting NJIT. Any schedule changes will be announced on Twitter @AEHoopsNews.
Here are the week #4 men’s basketball awards for the 2020-21 season:
Player of the Week
Brandon Horvath, UMBC – Sr., Forward, West River, Md.
- Averaged 22.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in UMBC’s series sweep of UAlbany.
- Shot 63 percent from the field (17-of-27).
- Had a career-high 27 points and added nine rebounds in Sunday’s win over the Great Danes.
- This is Horvath’s first career #AEHoops Player of the Week honor.
Rookie of the Week
LeChaun DuHart, Maine – Fr., Guard, Aurora, Colo.
- Averaged 13.7 points while shooting 50 percent from the field over his first three games as a collegian.
- Had a career-best 19 points at Boston College on Tuesday.
- This is DuHart’s first career #AEHoops Rookie of the Week honor.
Weekly Award Winners
Nov. 30 – Player of the Week: Obadiah Noel, UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Blondeau Tchoukuiengo, New Hampshire
Dec. 7 – Player of the Week: Austin Williams, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Thomas Webley, Hartford
Dec. 14 – Player of the Week: Daniel Akin, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Not awarded
Dec. 22 – Player of the Week: Brandon Horvath, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: LeChaun DuHart, Maine
About America East: The America East provides its member schools and their athletic programs a platform upon which student-athletes can achieve both collegiate and life success through the promotion and nurturing of athletic excellence, academic achievement, and leadership, on and off the field.
– #3Pillars – Building the Complete Student-Athlete –
- America East Conference2022.04.14Bryant University Welcomed as Newest America East Conference Member
- America East Conference2022.03.30America East to Add Bryant University as Newest Member Institution
- America East Conference2022.03.13America East: Back On Top! Vermont Wins 9th Men’s #AEHoops Title
- America East Conference2022.03.10Top Seeds Vermont, UMBC Roll Into #AEPlayoffs Title Game Showdown