UNCASVILLE, Conn. — Wynston Tabbs had his first career double-double, Steffon Mitchell added 15 points and eight rebounds, and Boston College beat Rhode Island 69-64 on Thursday night at the 2K Empire Classic.
Tabbs finished with 16 points and a career-high 10 rebounds. Rich Kelly scored all of his 11 points in the second half for BC.
Rhode Island led 48-42 with 11:39 to play before Luka Kraljevic and Kelly made back-to-back 3-pointers to spark a 10-1 run that gave BC a 52-49 lead with 8:43 to go. A pair of Makai Ashton-Langford free throws capped the run.
Tabbs hit a 3-pointer to give the Eagles their biggest lead at 29-21 with 5:18 left in the first half but Rhode Island scored 10 of the next 11 points to take a one-point lead into the break.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Steffon Mitchell tallied a season-best 15 points (6-10 FG; 2-4 3FG) to go along with eight boards.
- DeMarr Langford earned his first collegiate start, finishing with seven points, five rebounds and two assists.
- Langford replaced Jay Heath, who missed the game with a foot injury.
- Nine of Tabbs’ 10 rebounds came on the defensive end., and two assists
- Rich Kelly chipped in with 11 points, two rebounds
- CJ Felder added nine points and four rebounds
- BC shot 42% from the floor (21-50), including 7-of-22 from the 3-point line.
- The Eagles made 20-of-34 from the charity stripe.
- There were eight lead changes and five ties.
STAT OF THE GAME:
48, 52 – There were 48 fouls called and 52 free throws attempted in the game
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
- Steffon Mitchell posted a team-best efficiency rating of 17.
- Wynston Tabbs was the other Eagle in double figures for EFF rating, with 13.
- Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
- Boston College returns to Bubbleville on Monday to take on St. John’s.
- The game is set to tip off at 6 p.m. and can be seen on ESPNU.
- The game will be broadcast live on the Boston College Learfield IMG College Sports Network with Josh Maurer on WEEI 850 AM.
- Radio Shows2021.01.17Eagles Fall 80-70 at Notre Dame. Steffon Mitchell logs a double-double
- ACC2021.01.142021 ACC Schedule Set for BC Baseball. Non-Conference Slate TBD
- ACC2021.01.13Boston College MBB: Eagles Drain 18 3-Pointers in 84-62 Win over Miami
- ACC2021.01.12Boston College Eagles Look to Bounce Back Tuesday vs. Miami